monteverde- a better option?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are are traveling to Costa Rica the last week of April. We are only planning on staying four nights total, all in Arenal. I have heard mixed things about Monteverde. Is there a Rainforest area that we can drive to from Arenal that would be better? I hope to see some type of wildlife on a forest hike, my husband wants to see a sterotypical rainforest- wet, loud with animal noises, green, ect. We will rent a car so we have transportation.
Is Cano Negro a better option? Any advice on what to do or what not to do?
How about airport or car rental tips?

Thanks
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM

I would stay in Arenal the entire time with such a short trip - hike the Hanging Bridges and hire a guide to increase your chances of seeing wildlife, and definitely do the Cano Negro tour. Sunset Tours is a good group - we've seen howler, spider, and capuchin monkeys, as well as sloths/caimans/birds there. If you don't already have your trip booked, you might consider spending the trip on the Osa Peninsula - most amazing wildlife we've ever seen.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 06:14 AM

might skip MV not enough time based on budget pick up

www.elsilenciolodge.com

or

www.landsinlove.com

to/from for a night

www.costarica.bookit.com good sales on www.tabacon.com

with free hot springs lava view from $199/nt...

Have fun,
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Definitely stay in Arenal the entire time. You will enjoy the Hanging Bridges hike. Cano Negro is a great day trip. We have traveled to various parts of CR (not Osa) on two trips and have never found a "typical noisy, with animal noises, rainforest".
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Oh my - we stayed at Arenal Paraiso in the Arenal area and the jungle noises were amazing, not to mention the volcano show that was magnificent. Sitting in the hot springs pools after sunset, listening to the monkeys/birds/insects my 9 year old son asked "Is this Real?" (As opposed to a Disneyland experience.) The hotel-arranged river raft experience had us up close and personal with crocodiles, monkeys, sloths and many birds. For a future trip for you, on our stay on the southern Nicoya peninsula, we had trees full of monkeys staring at us every day. When my husband and nephew left before dawn to surf, they were pelted by monkey poop. That, plus prehistoric-looking iguanas and geckos everywhere should satisfy your husband's jungle hankering. ;-)
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 02:49 AM

mrs, you might also consider hiring a guide for a morning. We got one through Sunset Tours, and we spent a morning looking for birds and wildlife; he found us howlers, toucans, an anteater, a peccary, etc. all right in Arenal which isn't really known for having a lot of visible wildlife.

For future trips, Tortuguero has great sightings too.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. I don't think my husband would enjoy having monkey poop flung at him, but if I was at a safe distance to watch I would! Ha ha.
So one other silly little question, do I need an adapter for my plug-ins? I think most places are the same as us.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM

Nope, we've never needed any adapters of any kind.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!