Search

Very short visit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very short visit

Under the "Something is better than Nothing" we have only a very short time to visit Costa Rica. It is difficult to decide which area to visit based on our guidebook readings etc. From those of you who know CR best, if a family (two girls 12, 9) only has 5 days(4 nights), where should they be spent? We feel comfortable to rent a car and drive around (or is that naive?). We would like to see rainforests and nature over nightlife and surfing. We live in the Mid-west and camp in our own forests as well as have explored the mangroves of Florida. I am thinking from the descriptions, the dry forests may be similar to what we already know. We consider ourselves experienced travelers, but planning this one has me stumped. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:43 AM

I would head to the Arenal area - plenty of activities to keep you busy for 4 nights and only around 3 hours max from SJO.

You can hike the hanging bridges, go to La Fortuna waterfall, visit the thermal springs, do a canopy tour/zipline, go on the Cano Negro boat tour and hike at the national park. Plus you can arrange horseback riding, visits to animal rescue centers or float/raft trips.

We stayed at Arenal Paraiso, nice cabins with great views of the volcano (no lava flow for past 1 1/2 yrs), thermal pools on site and a zipline w/ 11 platforms.

Enjoy your short visit! If you are like many Fodorites, it will not be your last....
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Arenal is on my short list for our short time. We fly into Liberia. I am wondering if we can see Arenal and also visit Monteverde cloud forest. They seem near, but then sometimes I feel like I read that they are not close at all. Maybe Arenal is a cloud forest too and there isn't much difference in the names? On one map, Arenal and Monteverde look to be parts of the same forest. Is one a better choice than the other?
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM

Arenal is our favorite area. I'd definitely put that on your list. Monteverde is about three hours from there. It's a long bumpy road to reach Monteverde. If you don't want to drive it, we used Desafio's Jeep Boat Jeep service - it cuts across the lake and saves you time on the road for about thirty dollars per person. Your kids would probably really enjoy the Cano Negro tour and Penas Blancas river float. The Proyecto Asis animal rescue center is great - we got to feed monkeys, macaws, and a sloth when we were there, and you can get very close to the animals. Our favorite hotel is the Lost Iguana; they have a Groupon deal running right now. Los Lagos and Silencio del Campo are popular with young families if you want to check those out. For hot springs, we like Tabacon or Eco Termales. Tabacon is a bit pricey in my book. If your kids are adventurous, Sky Trek is a great zipline in the area. Check out Sunset Tours and Desafio for other tours. If you're adventurous, you can definitely drive. Don't leave anything in your car unattended though. Arenal and Monteverde are very different in terms of climate - Arenal is jungly while Monteverde is cool and cloud foresty.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 05:14 AM

One way to maximize your 5 days is to stay close to the Liberia airport. Don't spend valuable time chasing chilly cloud forests. Try to maximize your time in one place. This property is quite close and offers lots of activities.

http://www.buenavistalodgecr.com/

We have stayed there and were amazed at the number of activities available. We much prefer the lushness of southern Costa Rica, but we found that there are lush areas in the ravines and valleys that certainly give you a good taste of the country. The downsides are the rooms--which are interesting and comfortable, but not glitzy, and the visitors who arrive midday to use the facilities. The food in five different eating spots ranged from authentically dull/bland to completely delicious. If we were to take a short trip via Liberia, we would stay here again. (If we were to take short trip vis SJO, we would go to Sarapiqui.)

Sort of next door is

http://www.borinquenresort.com/

which is a little more upscale.

Arenal is great, but it is not the only place that offers a wide variety of Costa Rican experiences and atmosphere in one place.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 06:19 AM

You can actually do a lot in 5 days. I agree w/Arenal and Monteverde. Most of Monteverde rainforest is owned by expat Quakers...1 overnight in San Jose-there's not much to see in San Jose except the Gold Museum and a few good restaurants,,get out of there. 1 or 2 nights in Arenal is enough, 2 nights in Monteverde.

Fly into San Jose, stay overnight (Hotel Bougainvillea is a nice hotel near the airport - or a nice hotel in SJ is Hotel Don Carlos is a lovely, modest hotel downtown), then head up to Arenal the next day. Start early.

Unless you are dead set on driving...buses are fine and leave any road difficulties up to the driver...You can take a bus from San Jose to Arenal. Then do the Desafio taxi-boat-jeep boat, which is fun:
http://www.desafiocostarica.com/inde...on&id=10&cat=f

Bus back to San Jose-you could stop at a coffee plantation on the way back.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 06:21 AM

Arenal Observatory Lodge is great for kids, hiking and other activities, GREAT close up view of the volcano, infinity pool, restaurant that overlookst he volcano - the closest you can safely get - where Smithsonian volcanologists stay. I went w/my son, who was at 8 at the time, he loved it, we hiked the old lava fields, did nature walk, howler monkeys howling at night...
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM

5 days is an appropriate time, You can do many activities in Costa Rica, You should stay Close to the La Fortuna Area (Near of International Airport) or close to Liberia Area.