minor child documentation


Jul 5th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4
minor child documentation

I am traveling to CR w/ my 10-year-old son and new husband. I obtained permission from my son's father to get a passport for him, and he's well aware of our trip. Will I need anything from my son's father granting his permission to travel to CR, either for CR officials or USA officials?
darcylindsey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 5th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 569
YES ! ! ! Your ex-husband can get you on kidnapping charges. GET A WRITTEN LETTER FROM HIM ! ! !
luv2fly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 5th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 420
On all of the foreign trips we took with my husband's daughter we brought a notarized letter signed by her mother giving us permission to take her out of the country. We were never asked for it, but I don't think you would be wise to travel without it.(She is now 18 and going to Costa Rica with us without the letter for the first time.)
mstraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 5th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18
My best friend who is divorced was taking her underage daughter on a trip out of the country. When she checked in at the airport she was asked for a letter from her X giving permission for their daughter to go out of the country. They were not going to let them on the plane without it. Fortunately, they had time for him to drive down to the airport with a notarized letter. Moral of the story, be sure and get a notarized letter from your son's father to take him out of the country. Keep it as secure as your passport.
Mylisa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 107
Get a letter from her father. You will have kidnapping charges dismissed, but you won't get on the plane without it if, very rarely but happens, it is being asked for.
mian11224 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 7th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 257
As everyone says, you definitely need proper paperwork to do this, and stories about people not being allowed on their planes at the airport for lack of the same are becoming more common.

I don't have the link handy but have seen the information clearly presented on governmental sites. Might try starting your search here:


Ryberg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 73
We just returned from costa Rica Last night. I had read before I went that either parent could travel up to 30 days in Costa Rica with a minor child withour such documentation BUT that if they were to exceed 30 days, a written, notarized letter from the absent parent would be necessary. I got such a letter just in case someone got hurt, we missed a plane or for whatever reason, exceeded our planned 30 day trip. When I exited Costa Rica yesterday I mentioned the letter to the immigration official, just remarking that it had been superfluous. She knew NOTHING about such a rule but I think it is still an excellent idea to have it. As another wrote, better safe than sorry.

As far as kidnapping charges....I imagine that would depend on the custody as set forth in the divorce. I simply typed up a short letter in which my ex-husband stated the trip had his blessing and thanked those concerned for facilitating this memorable experience for his children. I faxed it to him. He signed it, faxed it back and joilá! He felt included, involved and as if HE had done something to "facilitate the memorable experience for his children." Everybody was happy and I had a letter should it become necessary. Happy travels.
tica_traveler is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:38 PM.