Search

Mexico Protests etc

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico Protests etc

Hello,

I'm sure it's all good but I'm eventually heading to Mexico and some people have said that there were protests/trouble when they were there.

Has that all died down now or are there areas I should avoid?

I'm looking to cover these areas.

Yucatan, Oaxaca, possibly Puebla y then Mexico city to fly home
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 02:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"...people have said that there were protests..."
"...died down now or are there areas I should avoid?"

I don't think the presence of demonstrations leads to the stated conclusion. When I was in Oaxaca a year ago there were demonstrations but there was no reason I found to not be there. I think there are fluctuating demonstrations and services adjust to avoid or accommodate them. I suggest you go where you want to go, regardless.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

I thought so but few people seemed to make a big deal of it.

Also I've just realised that when I said I'm "eventually" going to be in Mexico I have absolutely no context but will be in 2 months.

Thanks, I'll do that
Cheers
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 07:43 AM

There are protestations in the U.S. Too.
If you should avoid all the places that don't like trump ...
According to that great guy I live in a hellhole but I still am not going to tell every US tourist to get lost.
Unlike him we can behave and so can the Mexicans I imagine.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 07:49 AM

I've never seen anything like the Chicago riots, Watts or anything like that down here. The demonstrations that I've seen down here tend to be pretty non violent.
That said, there were a few incidences when some taxi drivers attacked Uber drivers. They tossed these guys around a bit and were general nuisances. There seems to be a large amount of police around when these things take place.
Police or not, I would keep my distance from any protest anywhere and try not to be in the center of things.
Mexicans are mostly very peaceful.
They even seem to be taking the last US election very well. Many have actually reached out to us expats.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 08:13 AM

Wo, you've strayed from your continent of expertise. Nothing to do with the US or election or tourists.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 10:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Demonstrations and protests are a part of Mexican society and culture just as much as something like day of the dead is. If you've not been subject to a blockade or a 'manifestación' then you've not experienced the 'Real Mexico'. I don't know that I'd go looking for a roadblock, but I certainly wouldn't let the chance of encountering one affect my planning either.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 12:20 PM

Mme, There was talk down here in the newspapers about Mexs protesting if T got in.
There was also talk about Mex boycotting American run businesses in and out of Mx. That part is happening.
There's more but I'll leave it at that as I wanted to let the OP know that thus far to my knowledge there hasn't been any significant retaliation if that's what they were worried about.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 12:36 PM

I'm not surprised, cybor. But historic demonstrations have not been about those things, as we know, and since Wo comments on everything in Europe, whether pertinent or not, it was just a reminder that he doesn't know everything about everywhere, tho I doubt he agrees.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 02:41 PM

MMe, There were some protests when the Mx president met up with T. Mostly students.
People down here are very afraid of what this is doing to the peso. The newspapers are slaughtering him.
Anyhow, the worst of it so far only seems to be that many people are boycotting american business and calling for Mex to not spend their travel money in the US. Mx are now travelling more to EU
Anyhow, you're right, tourists don't need to worry about protests in Mx.