Search

Mexico in December

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico in December

I'm planning an anniversary trip to Mexico on December. My husband loves Mexican culture and food I need some advice on the best places to visit and stay. I'll planning to stay 12 days and really want to surprise and impressing him with the best of Mexico.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 02:31 AM

V,
Mexico is huge and has much diversity.
You may want to focus a bit.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:03 AM

Absolute classic.

Do you have any idea, poster, how your total ignorance reinforces the view that all Americans know f all about anywhere outside their borders?

And we are not even talking about Cambodia, or Egypt - Mexico is just next door - don't you have any idea?

Look; get a guidebook; get a map; get educated, Get on the net. It really doesn't take too many brain cells.

Quite easy.
For heavens sake,
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yikes, harsh answer above. But has a point, I'm not sure what the "Best of Mexico" means either.

Are you looking for a beach destination to relax? Or you want to see ancient ruins? Colonial cities in the mountains? Mexico City? Small villages? Do you want to travel around or stay in one place? What type of accommodations do you week (5-star to humble local hotel)? You're going on a tour or traveling independent? Do you want to rent a car? Travel by bus or plane?

Fill in any or all details and we might be able to help you with the trip.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:13 AM

seek (not week) -lo siento
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

There is no need to be rude. IMO this forum is to share experiences and that’s what I was looking for. If you ask me the best places to visit and experience culture in my home town you can be sure it won’t take me too many brain cells to give you some advice on what I consider the best.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Virmarie, fuzzylogic is often guilty of reprimanding posters seeking information who do not meet his/her standards. Still, your question is pretty broad, and it would be helpful to know whether you are interested in beaches or not.

With 12 days, you could sample several colonial cities, beginning with Mexico City. This huge metropolis often overwhelms visitors, but it has countles museums, restaurants, parks, public buildings, churches, and ruins that would be wonderful for someone seeking the best of Mexican culture.

You could also visit other, smaller colonial towns, and bus travel is easy, inexpensive, and comfortable. Everyone has their favories, and you would probably want to decide on a general direction. For instance, we LOVED Guanajuato last year, and also enjoyed San Miguel de Allende. Cuernavaca and Taxco are other traditional favories. This year we are going to visit Patzcuaro and Morelia.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM

And for me, I'd say go to Puerto Vallarta and rent a condo on the beach for 12 days. Plenty of interesting Mexican culture and wonderful restaurants.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM

A suggestion. To experience a beach spend half your time in the Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo area & the other half in Michoacan experiencing Uruapan, Patzcuaro & Morelia all marvelous historic cities. Zihua/Ixtapa is IMO opinion is the best beach community in Mexico. Ixtapa is modern & slick while Zihua is old, very Mexican & very friendly!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM

I would never argue with SB, but I "try to market" the colonial montains here in the states of Qro, Gto, SLP.
Love Patzcuaro!
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Virmarie, ignore fuzzylogic. She has a HUGE chip on her shoulder regarding American's and finds a way to bash them any chance she gets.

As I have said before, she types her rude posts from a very high horse. She seems to think her way of travelling is the only way to travel and continues to ridicule, rather than assist, people who travel in a "less worldy" style from her style.

That being said, how nice of you to want to surprise your husband with this nice gift for your anniversary!

I would suggest the Mayan Riviera, which is less crowded and very beautiful.

Cozumel is a great island for diving if that is of interest.

If you are looking for great night life you may want to stick to the beaten paths of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:23 AM

Eurotraveller,

It's not a chip. You can only have a chip on your shoulder if you want to be INCLUDED in a group from which you have been EXCLUDED.

Frankly I don't give a monkeys whether you like my posts or not.

But I hammer on because I used to think you Americans were the best thing since sliced bread (oh, a long time ago!!)

And now I find the ignorance evidenced by some posters just reinforces what I have come to to believe. Which is ..

Best not go there.

Let the poster go to the Mayan Riviera - probably best for them.

But, you know, just occasionally there is someone on this board who would like something different, and hasn't found where to look.

But, hey, you just go on there - recommending what you recommend. When that one person comes along who does not want touristville, then I'll have made a contribtuion.

And you can stay safely in your cocoon.

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:58 AM

oh please...
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:47 AM

fuzzy, you need to quit with your ignorant assuptions. I am a Canadian.

Why do you feel the need and judge the way others choose to travel? Just because some people on here are more comfortable on the beaten path than off of it doesn't mean your way of traveling is better.

I guess that it is easy for you to hide behind this wall and criticize others. You must have a pitiful life.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM

Desire to see the "best of Mexico" does not really tell us anything, unfortunately.

We don't know if the OP wants something to backpack by bus off-the-beaten path in to a mountain colonial city, a mainstream tourist destination, or a luxury all-inclusive resort.

We can all argue among ourselves, but would need more information from Virmarie to even hope to answer this question.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:58 PM

Jeez, and I thought this ways a travel board. Go figure. Although Virmarie left a wide open question that would require more info to even give an educated response I see absolutely no reason to slam anyone. If you want to do stuff like that I recommend other sites where you would be right at home.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

I know this question was very general, but it wasn’t because I ignore Mexico’s excellent beaches and great colonial cities. It was because Mexico has too many alternatives of beautiful places to visit and all of them seem very interesting. I do not want to make this trip too inclusive.
I really appreciate your feedback and thanks to your comments I have a better idea of what kind of trip will fit more my husbands taste. I decided to extend my trip to 14 days. Ten days to visit some old traditional cities, less influenced by big tourism cities and less crowded. Cities which we can visit without necessity of tour guides, we like the opportunity to meet nice people (actually some advice on traveling by our own in Mexico will be well appreciated). Not a backpack experience, but open to the wide variety of accommodations, luxury is not a most. The last 4 days to enjoy Ixtapa beach area.