Search

Mexico City's Zocalo: Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City's Zocalo: Safe?

Hello,
My wife and I will be travelling to Mexico City and Oaxaca in Feb. and I was thinking about staying in either the Holiday Inn or the Hotel Catedral because of their proximity to the Zocalo. Is crime more of a consideration in this area compared with other parts of the city? If so, any other hotel recommendations for under $100 a night?

Thanks
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 01:08 PM

you should be fine. just leave the rolex and jewelery in the hotel safe so you don't present any more of a target than you already will be. you may want to get one of those passport pouches you can sling around your neck under your shirt for valuables, credit cards etc.. us $$$ in small denominations and some pesos will get you through most of the day. a "no gracias amigo" with a smile comes in handy when trying to avoid peddlers. most mexicans have a fine sense of honour but nevertheless common sense prevails. oh yeah, almost forgot. never pay full price for anything (unless you want to).
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Alex.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:53 PM

We've stayed at the Hotel Catedral a couple of times and I really like that area. I didn't find it unsafe - sure, you have to keep your wits about you, but it's a great area for exploring. Re the peddlers - I don't find them nearly as bad as I do here in downtown Toronto!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 05:40 AM

I have stayed at the Catedral several times without any problems. I find this hotel to have a great location and to be an excellent value!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 01:42 PM

You need to be crime conscious in Mexico City, but if you are, the area around the Zocalo is fine. I had not been there for a while, but I was there again last June and felt quite comfortable. There were lots of other folks around and it did not seem unsafe at all.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the advice. Hotel Catedral, here we come!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 10:31 AM

We're two mid-50s (OK, so we're closer to 60) blonde ladies (meaning we NEVER blend in) who have gone to Mexico and Central America numerous times.

In Mexico City, we stay in the Zocolo area at the Gillow Hotel. We love that area, as it has more of a real Mexico feel than does the Zona Rosa. We go out day and night and have never felt unsafe.

Hope this helps . . . go and enjoy, it's a fun city.

Sandy
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 01:04 PM

The zocalo is the colonial heart of this great city, and I quite liked exploring it during the day. I felt that restaurants within walking location were somewhat lacking in the evening, though, and on some blocks I did in fact feel a little nervous because they were so deserted. Have stayed in the Majestic, which I would not recommend for February, when it can be quite chilly, and if there was a source of heat iun my room, Icouldn't locate it. The Holiday Inn is on a very nice block and the heat is great. The rooftop restaurant there is not recommended.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 05:22 AM

I am a middle-aged woman who visited Mexico City alone and had no crime problems. The Zocolo is the most interesting part of the city (very historical), and I plan to stay in a hotel there during my next visit in a few months.

Although I personally had no crime problems there, be aware that crime is a problem in all large urban areas, and Mexico City is no exception. Stay alert at all times.

The biggest safety problem is probably the traffic. From the way people drive there, it looks as if passing a driving test is not a requirement to get driving licenses. I have spent all my life living in large cities, but Mexico City has by far the worst drivers. Look very carefully before crossing the street, and try to avoid taxi's and peseros (small buses).
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 06:01 PM

Hi, Last February my wife and I went to Mexico City for the first time, and I must admit we were a little nervous before going. Even though we have travelled across Mexico, Guatemala, and Panama, we weren't sure about the 20 million city, so we opted to stay at Casa Gonzalez in the Zona Rosa for $35 a night, and used the subway to get back and forth to the zocalo. We didn't go into the heart of the city at night, although you could get a safe cab from the guest house. We had such a good time that we spent a couple of extra days in Mexico City. We both have spent time in Guat. City and Pan. City, and these places feel dark and more impoverished as compared to Mexico City. BUT, as everyone else has said, just be careful and be alert. There is certainly crime in Mexico City, but just be careful and listen to the advice in the other posts. Be sure to check out the large market, where you can buy anything, and the prices are great! And be sure to check out the huge bakery on one of the main streets leading to the Zocalo!

Slim
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:32 PM

We wnet last March . . . also stayed at Casa Gonzalez . . . very safe w/ easy access to Zocola and otehr areas at nite. We went to Zocola at least one nite. Quite abit of activity but seems like more of a day time area. Other neighborhoods with restaurants and fun are easily accessible from Casa Gonzalez and Zona Rosa. Casa Gonzalez is right across the street from British embassy
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Let me also put in a good word for Casa Gonzalez. My wife and I and a teenage friend were there around September 5 of this year, and we loved it. It is a bit odd, but funky and the guests came from around the word (France, USA, Italy, Scotland, etc.). Good bunch of people, and the breakfasts were great.

The place is clean, in the Zona Rosa, which is a safe neighborhood and very well located -- about a 10 minute walk along a safe pedestrian walkway from the Insurgentes Metro stop.

The best room in the house is a triple, with a jacuzzi, and goes for $60. A double is around $40, depending on which room you get.

Let me also say that we thought the warnings we had heard about crime in Mexico City were exaggerated. Like any large city, you need to use common sense, but if you do, you'll have a great, safe time. Mexico City is a fantastic place.