Search

Mexico city hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico city hotel

We are looking for a clean, safe, budget hotel in Mexico City. There will be four of us (2 adults and two teenage daughters, 17 and 19). We are debating between several hotels - Hotel Monte Real or Hotel Fleming (Alameda area); Hotel Isabel or Hotel Gillow (Around Zocala); or Hotel Posada Viena (near Zona Rosa an more expensive). This is our first time to visit Mexico City and we want to be in an area where we feel safe, but don't want to spend more than we have to. Does anyone know anything about the above hotels or have any knowledge of which of the above areas would be best to stay in? I read somewhere that Mexico City is not a pedestrian city, such as NYC or Paris. Does everyone use taxis? Is the metro safe at night? Any info would be appreciated. We will be there during Holy Week. Any suggestions specific to that time? Thanks.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:53 PM

The areas you have listed are not safe at night, and can be pretty marginal during the day. The zona rosa is a tourist area, and is therefore a target for pickpockets and worse. Only use taxis that are called by your hotel. Not safe to get one on the street. The metro is not safe at night.

Check Hotel Polanco. Nice area, reasonable prices but not truly budget.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Well, I do like to stay around the zocalo when I'm in Mexico City. During the day the area is very busy, and with reasonable precautions, it's fine. We stay at the Hotel Catedral, which is part of the same group as the Gillow. In fact, we'll be there in March for a night. I expect that the Gillow and the Catedral are about the same price, and I think they are very good value.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Count us as another who like to stay near the Zocolo (hi Susan!).

We stayed at the Gillow (pronounced Jill-oh) in July 01 . . . our room (rm 106, $48.89/night) was great, a huge room w/two double beds, color tv, phone, purified water and ice right around the corner, and a balcony. We had a long hallway with big mirror leading into our bedroom area.

From our balcony, we could see a sm. place that served rotisserie chicken, lots of people coming/going . . . we decided to try it and it was delicious! There's also a very good juice bar (Jugo Canada) about a block down the street . . . great breakfasts there.

We stayed in DF for just a night or two on our way to Oaxaca, San Miquel, Guanajuato, Zacatecas . . . I typed up my journal and would be happy to email if if you want . . . let me know, [email protected].

Buen viaje,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:14 AM

Although I think the Zocalo area is perfectly safe to walk around during the day, I find it somewhat deserted and a bit threatening at night, and there aren't many restaurants, so I prefer to stay in Polanco, though there aren't any budget hotels there. This area is near Chapultepac Park, with all the museums, has tons of restaurants, and feels very safe for walking.

I don't find the Zona Rosa unsafefor walking if you exercise normal big city awareness, but it seemed a little tawdry the last time I was there.

I don't usually take the metro because I like to see things in transit. Taxis can be gotten at your hotel, and on the street the Sitio cab stands have safe taxis. Don't miss the San Angel-Coyocaun area, especially if you are a Frida fan. Highlights include Frida's blue house and the Trotsky museum, and also on Saturday the Bazaar Sabado, an entertaining art fair, in that area.

I would say you are perfectly safe walking in the tourist areas in the daytime as long as you have normal big city awareness, but most people would ecommend cabs after dark. Mexico City is a pedestrian city on a par with New York, in that you can walk around in the tourist areas that are near each other, but you will need to take transportation of some sort between these areas. I find cabs more affordable in Mexico City than New York, and can't really comment on the metro in Mexico City as I have never used it, but friends have.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Another vote for the zocalo area -- and the Hotel Catedral. I use it often and consider it to be an excellent value.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM

I visited the DF for 5 days in August. It was simply fascinating. Excedingly beautiful and hideously ugly; old and new, rich and poor, Capitalist and leftist.

I had nowhere to stay upon my arrival. I knew that I wanted to stay near the Zocalo, and I read that the Majestic Hotel was a good bet. No reservations is a scary proposition in a potentially scary place, but if you're going to DF in the first place you probably have the cahones to do it. I say this, because I quickly found out that in DF, everything is negotiable. Online at home, the best price I could find for the Majestic was $120US/night. I got the room in person, after 'walking out' a la used car lot style, for $70US, I slipped the manager $20 for his efforts, and he looked after me for my entire stay, even returing my $ from a hotel cabbie who overcharged me. Don't know what he did to the driver!

If I had only one tip for you it would be this: do NOT wear shorts or revealing clothes. You and your family will surely stick out. I found the key to DF is trying to blend in. Remember: you're going to an enormous city, and most people (in my experience) could care less if you're there or not. You're not at a beach resort, so no one is being paid to be overly friendly to you as a visitor.

Please go to Coyoacan; you must experience it. The guidebook named after a lunar object was indespensible, as was the streetwise fold-out map. Don't be afraid to eat the street food. I ate like a local, and never had such an amazing culinary experience in my life - with not so much as even an upset stomach to report.

Metro is great! Takes you anywhere for <$0.20. Just be careful - both underground and above. Many people on this site will tell you that DF is safe, no more unsafe that New York, London, etc. B.S.! DF is a very dangerous place; unlike those cities just mentioned, trouble can come looking for you. Why else are there armed guards (with varying levels of weapons depending on the value of what they're guarding) in front of every store?

At night, don't walk; take only hotel or Sitio cabs. Start out slowly with whatever you're doing; you'll quickly become acclimated to what's safe and what's not.

Bottom line: Enjoy a great adventure - just always be watching your back!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:18 PM

The metro is dicey, period. Taxis are a much safer bet. Not to strike fear, but one other thing to keep in mind - do NOT wear jewelry on the street, not even fake stuff. This goes for both men and women.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:03 AM

While I appreciate that you are on a budget, I would suggest that you spend a little extra, and be in a clean, safe area. I will be returning to DF this Friday and will be trying a new suites hotel in Polanco...the upscale, safest area of DF. I will have a suite with kitchen, queen bed and sofa bed for $700/week.

DF is like any big city in the US. You must be aware of your surroundings, but really, it is no worse. Some basic common sense is the key...not only for Mexico, but for most anywhyere. 1. Don't look like a gringo tourist. DF is upscale...don't wear short pants while carrying your camera case, water bottle and fanny pack. I have seen it...and man is it ugly..and dumb! 2. Keep your cash in your pocket, don't flash it around when making a purchase. Use Mexican Pesos..not US cash 3. Leave the flashy jewlery at home. 4. If it is your first time, use the Touribus...the big red double decker. They have several buses and you can stop and get off at many locations, and catch another during their regular stops.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM

I agree with everything that TravelMucho stated! Sometimes, it is better to splurge (I feel, anyway). The Polanco district is definitely a safe (and beautiful) area. We always stay at the JW Marriott there---beautiful, great location. Yes---take the red double-decker touribus: getting off and on all day long, at just about every spot you'd want to see (around $10 USD for the day's wristband, but pay in pesos). When you hear that DF is not a pedestrian city, I'd imagine that the idea that is meant to be conveyed is that there is no "yield-to-pedestrians" law, so it truly is 'every man for himself.' The traffic is heavily congested, and the drivers are aggressive (as such in NYC). I have visited Mexico (extensively) over the past 20 years in various cities throughout (my first excursion was when I was younger than your youngest, so I think that they will enjoy----very impressionable age, etc.) Feel free to e-mail me for more travel info and pics of DF, Teotihuacan, etc.: [email protected].
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:22 PM

gee...doesn't someone have to mention the hotel Majestic here? The great rooftop restaurant? The rooms with french doors that open onto the zocalo? However, the noise of the changing of that big, big, flag and the terrible horn is annoying at 6:am...
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 01:12 PM

So, how did your trip go? Where did you end up staying? Did you enjoy La Ciudad?
Hope so!!!