Search

acapulco. safe or unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
acapulco. safe or unsafe?

some posts on the "cruise" board indicate "pickpockets", "very aggressive taxi drivers", and in general, a insecure feeling in acapulco. can anyone relate their experience in the last year (whether good or bad).
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
P_M

I can't speak about Acapulco but this is true in so many parts of the world which I have visited. If you use some common sense and keep an eye on your wallet you will be fine. If a taxi driver or salesman gets agressive just give him a very firm NO and walk away. It's good to be aware of these things but it should not deter you from going. If I were so easily deterred I would never have ventured very far from home. You'll be fine, enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:42 AM

My wife and I just came back from Acapulco last Friday. We stayed 3 nights at the Emporio Hotel on the Costera. Admittedly we did not stray very far from the Costera. But we felt as safe in Acapulco as any place else. The sellers in the marketplaces can be a little aggressive, but, a firm no will usually suffice if you're not looking to buy anything. Be very careful when crossing the street, especially the Costera. Cars do not stop at times even for the traffic officers at intersections. Use common sense and enjoy yourself.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM

Acapulco safe friendly industrious peoples. Like anywhere in the world if u look for trouble you'll find it. We go each year for the past 5 and stay right in the middle of the action on the Costera in the best Hotel Acapulco Emporio, truly world class at a great value get the All Inclusive.
Has the best of bothe worlds Old Town and a strip on great hotels Shopping Malls and restaurants.
Strong Federal and local police presence which is a good thing. Safe to walk at night and enjoy the street scene. Lots of hustle and bustle and great beaches and hotels. I will go every winter for the rest of my days and I have plent left as Im in my late forties. No pick pockets or scam thefts for me. As in poorer countries there are plenty of kids selling their souveneirs on the beach so just have fun with them buy a bit and enjoy!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM

Generally unsafe except for nice hotel areas

You can be eating in the wrong place and get blown away

by many random killings be very careful

or better yet choose another destination

CRIME: Crime in Mexico continues to occur at a high rate, and it can often be violent, especially in Mexico City, Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Acapulco, and the states of Sinaloa and Durango. Other metropolitan areas have lower, but still serious, levels of crime. The low rates of apprehension and conviction of criminals also contribute to Mexico’s high crime rate. U.S. citizen victims of crime in Mexico are encouraged to report incidents to the nearest police headquarters and to the nearest U.S. consular office.

www.travel.state.gov Mexico
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM

Mexican tourists nearby cowered in their rooms during the ... Suspect identified in kidnapping of Phoenix girl ... ACAPULCO, Mexico - It was a shootout straight from ...

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31151675