Search

Mexico City Smog?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City Smog?

I am interested in visiting Mexico City but am concerned about the smog. Is there a time of year the smog is less common.

Also what were your observations of Mexico City as a travel destination?
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:43 AM

This is kind of a guessing game. I have been to Mexicfo City when it is horrible, and on other occasions when the pollution has not seemed too bad at all. Generally it is better in the summer when it is raining more, as it takes some of the particulate out of the air. As a travel destination it is incredibly interesting, however, as you may have read you must be quite careful. It is an incredibly big and intense city with much to see and do. Regarding the pollution, if you are independant traveler you can always go. If the pollution is bad on your arrival hop on a bus and go to Cuernavaca, Taxco, San Miguel, down to Oaxaca, whatever, and you will still have a great time- plus with any luck the pollution will be o.k.anyway. I was there for a six hour layover in June, I rode the metro to the Zocalo and it was bright, clear, Sunny and 58 degrees. Maybe you will be that lucky. Have fun-
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:28 AM

I agree with Dude, it is present, but don't let it persuade you to miss one of the most historic and amazing places. I too recommend a day or two or three trip out of the city for a break during your trip. I enjoyed visiting small towns and looking at local art, etc.I found it to be the worst for me when I was in a cab or driving. Holding a bandana around my nose helped a little bit, but once I got out of the cars, the quesiness went away. You will also hopefully get used to it a little if you are there a long time. I always visited Frida's house, spent alot of time in Coyoacan, and you must see the Zocalo. Also see the Aztec pyramids, I climbed the 3rd largest pyramid in the world there and the history is mind blowing ! I hope you do decide to go and have a great time ! I mainly went in April/May and then November (Day of the Dead) which was a teeny bit cooler at night. A little spending money goes a looooong way !
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 11:36 PM

I also agree with Dude and Wednesday. I've mostly been in Mexico City in December when the smog is supposed to be at its worst, but haven't found that to be necessarily true.

You often have to fly through Mexico City to get elsewhere, so I like to spend 2-3 days there at the start and/or end of the trip, combined with somewhere else in between. That way I get a break from the smog, which sometimes irritates my eyes and sometimes makes me nauseous. I find it's cumulative though, so a break really helps.

Mexico City is, indeed, a fabulous destination with tons of fascinating things to see and do. But Wednesday, the pyramids at Teotihuacan are <b>not</b> Aztec!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Correct Marilyn, it was Toltecas &amp; Mexicas...researching it brought up the great memories again...what a great place.