Search

Mexico City Questions. . .

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City Questions. . .

Staying in Cuautemoc, near the Monumento a la Independencia. How far is the walk to Chapultepec? Muesum, etc? Will have 10 teen girls--safe? Of course we'll only travel during the day. What about taking the Metro from here to the Zocalo? Any restaurant suggestions?
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM

Could you be more specific about your location (if you feel comfortable doing so)?

I would not walk to Chapultepec if you are where I think you are. With a group that size, maybe you could hire a driver. Otherwise, I'd take the metro. The colectivos (small buses) are possible too, but I did not like the look too much (and I saw people hanging out the doors, literally).

I think the metro is as safe as any major European city during the day (my experience is quite limited, though). The front two cars or so are reserved for women at rush hour, but in practice the metro is so crowded that a lot of women will just board wherever (including me). The girls, and you, will have to be careful to protect their belongings from pickpockets, as per the usual tourist advice. I think taking the metro to the Zocalo would be fine. But maybe it's walkable (again, if we knew your location).

Restaurant suggestions - Cafe Tacuba for one, and go at a time when the mariachi musicians will be playing.
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It looks like you would be about a half mile from the entrance to Chapultepec Park down Reforma. Not a dangerous place to walk, if they're up for the hike.

I found the castle and museum moderately interesting. The museum has a few skulls belonging to Cortes' men! The castle is the usual example of imperial bad taste (What is it with ruling families?). The view is good.

II have found the subway safe (I'm an old guy), but with a group of young girls I would suggest you take the "women only" cars. I believe there are also buses restricted to women. They have these for a reason and I expect you would not want the trip ruined by a groping or whatever.

Suggestion of Cafe de Tacuba is excellent. Another charming restaurant with excellent food is La Fonda el Refugio (they have a room upstairs where they can seat a group together) at the edge of the Zona Rosa:

http://www.fondaelrefugio.com.mx/home.html

Since you are a large group be sure to make reservations at either spot. Your concierge should be able to do it for you. I would also ask about the possibility of having a small van drive you around when necessary.

Old May 14th, 2008, 05:32 AM

I think you really want to prepare these kids. They need to be very saftey conscious, not carry stuff like cameras and purses, always stay with the group, dress as conservatively as possible, etc. I think its doable, but I would want to be really careful. I use the metro and think its the best way around. I have also had female friends with me been groped in crowded cars, so again be alert. I think you all can have a great time, but you need to think about what you are doing all the time. I have taken groups of kids to Monterrey and Oaxaca, it has gone well, but in my experience they really need to be supervised as the new surrounding can be really disorienting for people not familiar with Mexico.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:31 AM

There are lots of pickpockets on the Mexico City metro. Last time I was there, I saw an empty wallet contemptuously thrown on the floor outside of the police place at Belle Artes. Any crowded place in Mexico is dodgy. A lot of tourists in Mexico City don't leave the Pink Zone because of the possibility of trouble elsewhere.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Maybe its because I live in NYC and do a lot of developing world travel, but I didnt consider the Mexico City metro dangerous at all... I never witnessed anything dodgy and never had that danger vibe that I get in some places.... And, I took the peseras (the mini buses) all over and never had a problem.

In fact, I went everywhere with my brand new digital SLR.... I dont walk around with it around my neck though. Its in a camera bag in a daypack and just taken out for shots. But, I went everywhere alone and never had a problem.

Everywhere I go I see women leave their bags dangling off the back of chairs in restaurants. If you get them in the habit of not doing things like that - and not letting the bag dangle behind them on a crowded train, you'll teach them good travel habits now. I think they're more at risk for this type of opportunistic crime - or injury from stepping off an uneven sidewalk when not paying attention - than any other type of danger.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Respectfully, I must disagree with the OP about the Pink Zone. That area is no longer the popular tourist zone it was 20 to 30 years ago. Far more popular with tourists seem to be Centro, Polanco and Chapultepac areas. Zona Rosa is looking pretty bedraggled these days, full of people hawking tours, offering to be guides, etc.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:32 PM

I need to disagree with evening as well. Mexico City is a dangerous place, but one that can be managed with common sense and planning.My Mexican friends in Oaxaca that are afraid to go there because of crime- homicide, express kidnapping, robbery, mugging, etc. have reason to be so. This is on of the largest cities in the world with an often poor and desperate populace. If you think I am saying don't go there- I am not. I think it is a fascinating place. I do think it is unwise to be casual about saftey there as I might be in Guanajuato or smaller towns in Mexico.