Mexico City Guide

Old Mar 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Mexico City Guide

Hello, I will be in Mexico City at the end of April, tagging along on my husband's business trip. As I will be on my own, I thought I'd look into getting a guide to take me to Teotihuacan. Is that a good idea? Or are there tours I could do? I'd rather not go totally alone. Any other ideas for things to do on my own for a day and a half? We'll be staying at the JW Marriott. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM

I live in Mexico city and I use someone here when I have guests that visit or if I need to go somewhere new. He is great and has his own combi van and is very reasonable. Only he doesn't speak english. If you want an english speaking guide, I would recommend paying more and going through the hotel. You can probably also book a group tour through the hotel if you decide.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 09:43 PM

My favorite museum in Mexico City is the Museo de Arte Popular. It has wonderful folk art from all areas of Mexico, both antique and modern day. The museum shop is great, too. http://www.map.df.gob.mx/ (drop-down to the right will translate into English) It would probably be easiest to get a cab from the hotel and then arrange for the driver to either wait for you or to come back to get you at time you determine.

Also, the Museo de Antropologia is in Chapultepec Park and you could walk there from your hotel.

I thought Casa Barragan was really interesting. http://www.casaluisbarragan.org/ Tours are by appointment only, and you can request an English-speaking guide.

You can also just wander around Polanco. There is a new branch of Helados Roxy (ice cream) at the edge of Parque Lincoln at Emilio Castelar 105. Really, really good ice cream.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM

Your hotel will be able to hook you up w/a group tour of Teotihuacan. I went on one of those. Here is how it goes: a van w/about 10 people and a giide and driver. Youo drive to a gift shop/quarry place in the middle of nowhere on the way to the ruins. They stop and hyou sepdn way too much time there and buy nothing, the place is a rip off. Then on to the pyramids. Guide gives you a little info, then you can explore on your own. Then they take you to an overprices place I would never got for lunch near the pyramids.

If I were to do it again, I'd take a bus myself to the pyramids. Or in your case, get a private guide. That way you don't have to stop at the ist place or eat lunch w/the strangers on the tour in a place you wouldn't go to otherwise. The hotel should be able to arrange a private guide.

With part of the rest of your time, go to the zocalo and see the Diego Rivera murals at the Natl. Palace, the cathedral, the Templo Mejor. All those are right at the zocalo. Go to La Cuidadela to browse and shop. GREAT selection of handcrafts from all over Mexico there. Very colorful outdoor place.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. This is great. I think I'll talk to the hotel when I arrive to set something up, maybe with a private guide as long as it's not too expensive. Do you think they can do that for the next day, or should I contact them in advance of arrival? Can't wait to wander around!