day trip to ruins from Akumal Bay?

Old Mar 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

day trip to ruins from Akumal Bay?

we have a trip in June to Akumal bay, have rented a condo for a week. We're mainly diving and snorkeling and beach-ing, but we want to spend at least one day visiting sites of ruins. We don't know much at all about what's inland...
We'll have our own vehicle, two of the four of us (all adults) speak passable Spanish. What's a good plan? or where to find one?
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 06:24 PM
RAC

Tulum is fairly close by.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM

Tulum is literally minutes away--it's small, but beautiful with a beachside location.
A larger site, but within easy driving distance, is Coba. (Google says 50km). It has a wonderful pyramid (which you could climb when I was there in 2008), a Mayan ball court, and much more. You will want a guide--if you speak Spanish it should be easy to find one at the entrance. I went with a van tour that included a visit to a cenote for an underground swim.
To find a plan, I found this site very helpful:
http://www.locogringo.com/playa_del_carmen/
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM

We loved Coba (my daughter even named her pet bird after the site). They have some really good cenotes, too, particularly the one that's the farthest away.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 04:09 PM

You're within driving distance of 4 of the 'main' ones.

Chichen Itza is well worth a visit but it's quite a long day trip from Akumal. I suggest leaving as early as possible in the morning so you don't arrive in the full heat of the day with a million tour groups. An overnight here would be ideal but I've only done the long day trip.
http://www.chichenitza.com/

Tulum is very close and the beach is wonderful so take your swim suits and a picnic for the afternoon.

Then there's Coba about an hour away and Ek Balam not too far from Chichen Itza (possible to do the two on the same day)

If you google these 4 names and check out the 'images' you can see which you'd prefer to go to... Get maps etc.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone, this is just the information I was hoping for.