Search

Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City

I am looking for a 5 star resort in or near Mexico City. My grandparents will be there for a wedding and would like to make a vacation out of it. They are in their 70's and 80's so keep that in mind! They are willing to travel 30-60 minutes by car.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

They are older but in perfect health. Just not too much walking.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM

There's a Four Seasons Hotel in Mexico City. That might be the top of the line in the city. Someone else will need to chime in re any 5 star resorts within an hour's drive. Perhaps there's something in Cuernevaca?
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:51 AM

Las Mananitas, in Cuernevaca, is around 60 minutes and it has more of a vacation-feel than any of the city hotels (although the Four Seasons is very nice).
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Is Las Mananitas, in Cuernevaca nice? What is there to do in Cuernevaca?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:39 AM

Until a few years ago las mananitas was rated one of the top hotels in Latin America by Conde Nast. It is still really nice. As far as Cuernavaca, Cortez's palace, Borda Gardens, the Robert Brady museum and a side trip to Tepotzlan are all worthwhile. With more time, a two hour trip to Taxco is well worth it. I would take the Las Mananitas recommendation, except how are your grandparents going to get back and forth to Mexico City? There is some intense and difficult traffic geting in and out of MEX.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

It is difficult to get out of the city of Mexico City?? Why?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:12 AM

Population of over 20 million people,in fact one of the most densely packed geographical areas on earth. Intese and heavy traffic some pretty crazy driving. I will drive in Mexico, would vastly prefer to dive with a local in MEX.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I would assume that they would take a taxi/car service/whatever is available there.
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:50 AM

That would be my recommendation, if price is no issue- to take a sitio taxi. Many people from Mexico City have second homes or just go to Cuernavaca becuase it is on the other side of the mountains and is a nice break from the Capital. Certainly Las Manaitas would be a nice place to relax. Also there is another place in Cuernavaca, Hacienda de Cortez, not as fancy as las manaitas, but a nice relaxing place that might be a possibility.
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:55 PM

How many days do they plan to stay? Cuernavaca is about 2 hours by car and not really worth it if you don't stay a few days. The four seasons in Mexico city is beautiful. All the rooms overlook a beautiful courtyard.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM

I live in Mexico City and I would totaly recomend stayin in the city for a few days, if you are staying more than 5 days you might want to stay 3 days in the city and 2 days in Cuernavaca. Lots to do in the city, great restaurants and really nice stuff if you need advice on what to do please ask
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM

My wife and I will be in Mexico City for a Friday night through Sunday afternoon. I would love to have some suggestions. I would like to see the Basilica while in Mexico City. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Do make the trip to the Basilica, and there are other shrines, etc. open at this site. We liked going with a driver/guide, who added to our understanding of the various churches.

I always recommend the Bazaar Sabado for anyone who will be in Mexico City on a Saturday. This combination art/street fair in the San Angel area is very fun. Several Frieda/Diego sites are out in that direction, too, as well as the classic San Angel Inn, a restaurant in an old hacienda/convent.
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Do you have a suggestion for locating a driver/guide? We will be staying at the JW Marriott while in Mexico City.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Well, we have always just used the hotel drivers. You will love the JW Marriott: the staff couldn't be nicer, beautiful rooms, great rooftop pool and health club, wonderful location. We stayed there with a group of friends for my husband's birthday one year, and had drivers to take us out dancing--they were wonderful in finding places, and just generally looked out for us!