Notices

Mexican disaster

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:43 AM
ceylon

Mexican disaster

My family and I were planning on vacationing in Mexico - until we dealt with the Mexican Consulate in Chicago. We were truly taken aback by the sheer lack of any system, incredible bureaucracy and unreasonable and rude staff. My family and I have decided to take our summer vacation in Europe instead.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Jean Valjean

Just a question...

Why would you need to go to the consulate?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:12 PM
cb

I agree with the above...

Why would you go to the consulate? AFAIK, a consulate is NOT a tourism office.

Then again, if based on one experience with a BUREAUCRATIC office you decided against Mexico, maybe Mexico is not the place for you.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:38 PM
JMM

I must admit I too am confused as to why anyone would be dealing with the Mexican Consulate about a trip to Mexico. You want the TOURISM office for tourism info not the consulate.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:34 PM
tomG

Maybe Ceylon will have better luck with the European Consulate.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Jen

Perhaps the OP isn't a US citizen, but is from someplace that Mexico requires a visa from? Otherwise, they could have just grabbed their birth certificates/passports or whatever and been on their way.

But you know what? In one way, they've already experienced the essence of Mexico, without bothering with the travel hassles and bad water!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Dimi

Hey Ceylon,
What's up with your title "Mexican Disaster"? It sounds as if the entire country was swallowed in ocean.
Why don't you explain why you needed to contact the consulate for a simple vacation.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Patty

Bureaucracy and rude staff are not limited to the Mexican consulate. I've found that dealing with the visa section of most consulates requires much patience. But I don't think this is in any way indicative of the actual travel experience.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:59 PM
ceylon

Sorry for the lack of clarity - you're correct,we are not US citizens. We travel frequently though and require a visa for most travel. We were taken aback at how obnoxious the Consulate staff were. Having dealt with embassies all our life, this was my worst experience. Switching to Europe was an easy decision, but it still irked me that they were so rude. I'm a pretty patient guy, but have low tollerance for abhorrently rude behaviour

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Patty

I understand how you feel, I had a horrible experience at the German consulate in LA once (totally treated like I was the least important person on the planet to them). But I would not strike Germany off of my travel list because of this. It's too bad that the consulate staff doesn't realize (or maybe doesn't care) that they are often a traveler's first introduction to their country.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:11 PM
US Citizen

That is the beauty of being a US Citizen. I have traveled all over the world and most nations do not require a VISA from a US Citizen. Why not? Because we run a competent system of tracking are people. Do you know how easy it is to get a fake passport in South Asia, Africa, South America??? $200 and you got it!!! I travel often with a friend who is a US Resident/Indian Citizen. He has a huge hassle at each consulate including Mexico. That is what is expected and he must face it or never travel. Even as we enter countries with his VISA they put him through it and I always just pass through. If you are a citizen of a third world country you will have to face the hassle. Many times you will need to bribe the consulate worker. Venezuela, Switzerland, Panama, Jamaica, have all taken bribes from my friend. All times you will need to be incredibly humble. You do not have a RIGHT to enter their country. You have to ask for it and if you are not humble odds are they will not grant you a VISA.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:55 PM
ceylon

Rudeness certainly doesn't pay. I will try Mexico another time -- not in the near future though. You'd expect a country like Mexico to welcome US$ though -- we were planning on spending about $10 grand for 5 days. Oh well, not anymore I guess.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 04:21 AM
sue

i agree you should not have titled this "mexican disaster", but heart skipped a beat when i saw that headline!!!