Medicine in Mexico

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Billy

Medicine in Mexico

Am I allowed to bring benedryl, tylenol, and other OTC drugs to Mexico?? Dont want any trouble but I want to bring the basics just in case!!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Susan

It seems as though pharmacies are everywhere in Mexico. It also seems that some drugs that require a prescription in Canada are OTC in Mexico. So you could pick those medications up if you do need them.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 09:02 AM
John

You can get all sorts of somniferos in the chemists in Mexico - it is great!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 10:04 AM
badkittym

Yes, you can bring any and all of that. Actually, I'd recommend bringing your own.

Many prescription drugs can be purchased over-the-counter in Mexico, but I would not recommend doing so - in the past 8 years, they've cracked down on it, and you wouldn't want to get your purchases confiscated at customs. Also, even though you can get OTC medicines there, depending upon where you go, if you try to get the name-brand item, you will pay as much, if not more.
-M

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:47 AM
D

As the above says you can bring OTC drugs to Mexico. It would be advisable to have it in the original packaging as opposed to a baggie full of pills. Likewise, as the above says everything is now availible in Mexico. If you don't speak Spanish there can be some confusion, however, as names and packaging are different on some products. I.e. Claritin "Claritine." It also seems to me that prices in Mexico are slightly higher for OTC drugs. So, bring what you think you need and if you need something else you will be albe to find it.