Mendoza, hotel and excursion help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Argentina in March, and after much research on this board, have been in contact with Isabel concerning arrangements outside of BA. We are planning on spending two nights in Mendoza, and she has suggested either the Huentala or the Aconagua hotels. However, trip advisor gives mostly negative reviews to the Aconagua. I'd appreciate any feedback, and other suggestions. We want to stay downtown, since we will not be renting a car. Also, any recommendations on rafting tours, we would like to spend half a day doing that, although we're not experienced, and would probably prefer a class III rather than IV or V. Also, will it be warm enough to raft comfortably mid March? We are not all that interested in wine, should we still do a winery tour, and if so, any suggestions? I really appreciate any and all input on planning our two plus days in Mendoza, including where to eat (always important to me). Thanks so much.
CheriKM
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I'm planning a similar trip and would also love some help. Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 12:43 PM

I stayed in the Aconcagua some years ago and I would not stay there again, they awarded themselves 4 stars but.... may be 2 is too much.
The best hotel is the Haytt. I can recommed a nice new hotel called Urbana Hotel, they have also an apart hotel called Urbana suites.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I told Isabel that I'm concerned with the aconagua, due to bad reviews on this website and TA. Anybody done rafting out of Mendoza? Also, Isabel suggested that we might want to visit Villavicencio in the area. Anybody been there?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:02 AM

I will be traveling to Mendoza in March for the Wine Festival.
Initially, I was staying at the Huentala Hotel, but after reading the reviews on numerous posts, decided to stay at the Park Hyatt.
I noticed that the Huentala took a while in getting back to me.
You said that you are not all that interested in wines..but that is part of what Mendoza is all about..the WINES!!
One winery, Bodega Carlos Pulenta has a gourmet restaurant, La Bourgogne -expensive, but why not.. you are on vacation!!
If you are traveling during the festival from March 1- 4th, then you can visit the Griego Theatre which holds up to 25,000 people.
There will be live music, dancing and fireworks to celebrate the annual wine harvest.
In any case, I'm sure you will stumble across some wonderful family run restaurants in Mendoza!
Sorry, I could not help you with regards to rafting.

Have fun!