Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Mendoza and Cuyo - What else to do besides drink wine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still working out details of a two-week long August trip to Argentina.

I thought I had finally settled on an intinerary of BA, the northwest (Salta, Jujuy etc) and Patagonia (most likely San Martin de los Andes). Now, I'm questioning if I should drop Patagonia and replace it with a few (4 to 5) days in Cuyo.

Patagonia and the south just seem like a whole trip unto themselves--something we can't accomplish in the four or five days we could allocate to visiting that area.

I never really considered anything in Mendoza or in the Cuyo region before. My husband and I enjoy learning about wine and have visited wine regions on other travels but we've come to the conclusion that we're simply not wine tourists.

However, I was looking over some info at WelcomeArgentina.com and the city of Mendoza and the region of Cuyo do look beautiful.

*Can someone tell me about what other activities you've done, other sights you recommend seeing in August in that part of the country.

*Is it sufficiently different from the northwest to warrant a few days?

*Or should I stick with visiting the ski resorts in the south?

Thanks,
Mona
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:10 AM

I can't comment on what to do there yet b/c we are going in August as well. But, I'd like to know how you intend to get to Salta area from BA and if you go to Mendoza, what you have found out about transportation. It seems that getting from Salta to Mendoza requires going back through BA. And, the same airline doesn't go to Salta that goes to Mendoza. Also, from reading the forums, it seems that cost to purchase flights is more expensive if purchased from US vs within Argentina. Looking fwd to responses from those erstwhile Argentinia experts. hinthinthint!!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Mona:

Keep topping this thread. I am sure some of the Argentina experts will chime in.

Sorry I can't be of any help. We were in the Mendoza/San Rafael area about 8 years ago on a wine tour!! That's all we did!!

MY
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Alpal,

I don't have any reservations--or even plane tickets--yet so I can't give you any good guidance.

My first inclination was to take a coche cama from BA to Salta. I know that it is a long ride, but it sounded pleasant enough, with good scenery and comfortable buses, and way, way cheaper than purchasing a plane ticket.

A good person to contact, if you haven't discovered him already, is Roberto at http://www.travelsur.net/forum/messages/2/2.html

From what I gather on the site, Roberto works out of Miami in collaboration with his mother, Erna, who is a travel agent in BA.

Roberto responds quite promptly to often very specific questions about travelling to and within Argentina. He recently gave me a quote (unofficially) for two, two-way domestic flights that was reasonable enough.

From the messages on the boards at their agency's website, it seems his mom is well liked and appreciated, too, as an agent. I can't vouch for her; I can only report what is said on their forum.

Let me know if you make any good discoveries about our shared itinerary!

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM

I just know I'll be spending a wad either way! On both the LAN and Aerolineas sites they mention a "pass" that charges a per coupon rate to fly within argentina. I guess you need a minimum number of coupons to be able to purchase the pass, you need to fly to AR on a purchased ticket (not ff miles like I'm trying to do) and you need to buy the pass in the US.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM

MonaManuel: PS. NOT a wine tourist!? Sacrebleu! Dios Mio, etc...!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Mona
I visited San Juan Provice last november for 3 nights. More than anything else I wanted to see Ischigualasto and Talampaya national parks. Ischigualasto is where they found one of the more ancient dinosours of all. Talampaya, which is fairly closeby is totally different. the scenery at both parks are amazing. As the main motive of my visit was for scenery and photography i was very satisfied. That area is way off the beaten track for sure, but in my opinion well worth it. i didnt go to mendoza at all since there was no time. bear in mind san juan is very hot!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:43 PM

Hi, Mona. I`m Rich, originally from England but for the past 3 years I`ve lived in Mendoza where I run a small tourism business, were I put together itineraries for travelers visiting Argentina, especially Mendoza.
How many days are you planning to stay in each of these cities? I think you are planning to visit too many places for the little amount of time you`ve got.If you are coming in August, it`s still the winter season, which means snow and in Mendoza you have one of the biggest ski resorts in South America: Las Leñas ,which would be a good idea if you arrive to Mendoza at the begining of the month.
Apart from that,I would say Mendoza is a place to visit at the end of the summer or autumn,It is a man made oasis in the middle of the desert and yes,it is beautiful, but if winter time...I would say Patagonia has a lot more to offer.
Any questions, I`d be glad to answer.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments, Rich. I was beginning to think the same thing.

Does your tourism business have a website?
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Mona: The best wines are in the Northen Argentina, specilly the white Torrontes wine which I would describe as a swallow of sunshine! Have a look to Tripadvisors. They can help you to make up your mind.If you will take a bus to Salta, you can also do ti to Tucuman and make the arrangements to be picked up there and take a driving tour heading to Cafayate or the other way round...
Flecha Bus has a relly good Service!

Old May 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Mona,im sorry but at the moment we are working on building a website,please feel free to e mail me for any questions at: [email protected]
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:20 AM

topping for Jaspert
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Our tour guide from a tour company named 'Tasting Mendoza' was great. We were very interested in the wineries and she got us into some really interesting, non touristy places. But she also took us to a farm that made gourmet foods, she cooked a delicious Argentine barbeque for us in the foothills of the Andes and she took us on an amazing drive throught the Andes. We also almost did some river rafting, but ended up not doing so.

Her name is Dolores and her web site is www.tastingmendoza.com. She's very smart, very charming and very friendly. Finally, the cost of her tour was MUCH less than what we were quoted by another guide in that area.

Best,

Tom

Old May 25th, 2006, 07:51 PM

I lived in Mendoza for 5 months while I was studying abroad. I loved it. There are side trips to the mountains that you can do, which might be best in august since it's argentine winter anyways. The city has good nightlife if you're looking for that too. The parque san martin is beautiful, its in the heart of Mendoza (capital). It has a zoo and the university del cuyo is located there. Mendoza is a desert but there are tons of beautiful trees in plazas (which are BEAUTIFUL) and all around.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I hope no one will mind me 'hijacking" this thread.

We are interested in a winery tour day trip from BsAs, as we are into wines but do not wish to pack up and transfer to another hotel. We'll be there 1st or 2nd week of March 2007.

are there wineries, preferably non touristy ones within a day trip from BsAs?

Sorry, again MonaMauel, did not mean to hijack, just wanted to see if any would know the answer to my question.

Thanks a mil....
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:35 AM

And yes, we'll be with a group ( see my post also on this board about the trip itself) and so we will have transportation provided by whatever company I ultimately choose ( WOW or Lost World Adventures)
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:35 AM

tripgirl: Mendoza is about 1.000 km from BA, so, obviously, it is not a day trip.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM

12-16 hour bus ride from BsAs to Mendoza, depending on the bus company you take. But the tickets for that are usually about 85 pesos for a round trip....if youre not too pressed for cash you can find a flight on southwest air for VERY cheap, less than 100 USD (maybe about 57$? I dont remember. The flight is a little over an hour, so if you are able to do that you might be able to do the trip in one day. I dont think you could see both cities in one day though.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:48 AM

ALPAL
Of course if you go to Salta from Mendoza by plane you must come to Buenos Aires.
But you can take the bus and connect the 2 cities. It takes a bit more than a night. service includes dinner and 180 reclinable seats.
enjoy Mendoza and Salta then.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:21 PM

Monamanuel: The NOrth west of Argentina is much more varied than Mendoiza and Cuyo, and on the other hand you can taste not only the wines in Mendoza but also the unique torrontes...Do not miss Purmmarca and the 7 colour moutnains and the SAlt Flats. It`s amazing!!!
You have some reviews of travellers at TA which could be helpful.
Good times.
flintstones