Search

Medical Tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medical Tourism?

My husband and I have just been given an incredibly expensive estimate from our dentist. Clark Howard suggests travel abroad (india, eastern europe, etc.) for excellent care at a fraction of U.S. prices. Naturally, we are hesitant and wondering if anyone out there has had experience with this or any knowledge to share? We've found a little information on India but were hoping for some positive feedback about S. America or somewhere a little closer to home. Any info - good or bad - would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much.....

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:40 AM

Mexico is a great place to go to have dental work done at a fraction of what you'd pay in the U.S. In fact, pretty much all the border towns have dozens of dental offices near the crossing points catering to Americans who balk at paying high U.S. rates.

Take a look at this opinion:
http://www.epinions.com/content_1196335236

Good luck!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your input. And thanks for sending the link to the epinions site. It was very informative and gave us hope!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:53 PM

I know it's the other side of the world but we have just been talking about this for Thailand, if you check on the Aisa board about Dental work in Thailand, might be of interest.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM

As a dentist....I feel I must comment on this one, even tho' some might think I'm just out to "protect the turf of American dentists".
The worrysome phrase is the "incredibly expensive estimate", which tells me the work is undoubtedly complex and involved.
Cases that are complex and involved usually don't lend themselves to being treated while the patient is in town for a week or two or three. Sure, we can sit down at the chair, maybe spending a whole day working on your husband's dental problem....but the more complex the problem, the more frought it is with potential complications and the need for further follow-up and adjustments. This "after-care" can go on for months.

We sometimes kid about some particular and complex case being a "geographic success", because we do the case, and either the dentist, or the patient moves away....and when things need adjustment, or when things "go bad"....we are geographically too far apart for the patient to come back to the original treating dentist.

There is nothing that makes a dentist's heart sink than when the receptionist comes back to the treatment room and says "Doctor...Mrs. Smith's ten unit bridge that you cemented last May is cracking and all the porcelain has fallen off her front teeth, and her daughter is getting married this Friday". Sometimes crazy things like that happen, no matter if the dentist is average, or is a master. But.....somehow we deal with it and get the patient thru it. What are you going to do when that happens???

Believe me.....I don't blame you a bit for going there to save a buck, or many bucks. I'd do it too. Just make sure you are thinking of ALL the angles.
By the way....can you be specific as to what kind of treatment he is needing??
EK
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:42 PM

Argentina really has some wonderful physicians and doctors. I live in Buenos Aires and talked to several Americans that had dental work, cosmetic surgery, hair implants, etc. here and all raved about the quality and the prices.

They do have excellent doctors here. My personal physician here studied at UCLA and speaks perfect English. He got tired of the ratrace (like me) and moved to Argentina, where he was born. There are more and more cosmetic surgery patients flocking down here.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

to: EK, re: your question as to what exactly we've been told we need done...here it is...primarily my husband needs 6 crowns and 7 fillings. I need 9 fillings and 3 onlays. All of our old metal fillings are being removed and replaced with porcelain ones - most have cracks and leaks. This is not including the surgery (to reset his bite) and braces my husband will need later. Our dentist said if we wanted to get it done quickly, it could all be done in a week - the time frame and the prices lead us to looking abroad for care. I too am worried becuase a few of our teeth are weal and need "core build up" - it's not just simple fillings. We love our dentist however, $12,000 for fillings and caps it insane (not to mention the costs of surgery and braces). We simply do not have the money. Any ideas? P.S. we are in FL -- know any reasonably priced, good dentists here?
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:42 AM

ek raises some good points, and you should certainly consider what he has said regarding the nature of your dental work and the aftercare possibilities. And I know he (she?) speaks for all of the reliable dentists who have their patients' best interests in mind.

There are, however, a few (in every profession) who charge incredible amounts and even do work that is not necessary in ordrer to pad the bill--especially when insurance is involved. This information from a dentist friend of mine who met a few of these characters in dental school. Be sure to get a second opinion regarding that much work--unless you have a longstanding and confident relationship with your dentist.

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Hi, I live in the US and have been fortunate enough to be able to travel to Buenos Aires for mayor dental work. Like porcelaine crowns...not only I have found the dentist there absolutely first class but of course have paid at least three to four times less. I have paid the ticket , the hotel etc.
For me it is easy because one of my daughter's live there but I would not hesitate to do it anyway. I have found that the quality of the dental work to be outstanding. Of course one have to be properly informed and look for a good dentist.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 12:50 PM

The surgery to "reset the bite" is terminology that isn't used much. I am speculating that he needs a very comprehensive orthodontic treatment, including what we call "orthagnathic surgery"????? I can't imagine that treatment being done in S. America for a US patient, unless they happened to fly there every other week or so....for 2 or three years. Does hubby work for the airlines???
If it's just crowns and fillings, and you can hook up with some dentist who you feel that you can trust...what the heck....go for it.

Here's one big catch that we run into all the time. The dentist who is treating you needs to be the one to make the diagnosis....ie...the list of things that HE/SHE finds that are needed. It can be a nightmare when someone shows up with a treatment plan....a list of work needing to be done....on a sheet of paper.....from some dentist. The 2nd dentist might have a far different opinion. And it is not often that the first OR the second doc is a rip off. (that happens far less than people think.)

So....I just don't want you to be bumfuzzled when you go down there, with your xrays in an envelope, and a list of 9 teeth that need crowns, and the Brazilian dentist seems bewildered by what the other guy was thinking.

I'm near Atlanta. Email me if you'd like. This is getting far afield from a travel posting. Good luck
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 01:06 PM

Graziella5b,
I am planning to be in Buenos Aires for a few months this fall. I would like to have some cosmetic dental work done while I am there, and I'm very curious about the dentist you have been going to. Could you please give me his contact info?
Thanks very much,
Giztips
([email protected])
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:29 PM

If any of you are thinking about having surgical procedures abroad that might require blood transfusions, please make sure that the blood screening process meets high standards. Quite a few diseases can be transmitted by unchecked blood transfusions.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:47 AM

Like so many other things in life, you get what you pay for. I'm particularly careful when I have health care things done. My recommendation is that you have the work done at home, not away.

I lived/worked in Mexico for a while and had dental work done there and recommend against having work done in the country. Most of the work done is substandard, from what I've seen/experienced/heard. While there are certainly some dentists in Mexico who are very well qualified, finding them is difficult and the cost, in the end, is likely to be similar to what you pay at home. It was for me.

Best of luck!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:08 AM

I have to add one more comment on flcrickets.

I know you can be very comfortable with your dentist..it is personal thing. But, Try considering getting second opinion. It may just solve your problem...try either teaching institution or get referral..i would not recommend "all in one place shop".

Good luck!~~