I cancelled my Asia trip

Search

I cancelled my Asia trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cancelled my Asia trip

I wanted to thank all those who helped with all my questions. As much as I was so looking forward to it. I went to the travel clinic in Toronto and the doctor there who was not being paranoid or anything said..if you don't really have to go to Asia don't chance it. It's one thing to get a virus, but they don't know wha the heck it is or how to treat it she said...not to cause panic, but that's just the latest here. I don't succumb to paranoia, but in toronto they are now trying to locate all the people on the plane from Hong Kong with the 2 people who died here in Toronto from this unknown bug.<BR><BR>At first I said..well hey I can go to urban areas etc in Asia, but I have no control over who is on my flight..<BR><BR>So that's a bummer...good luck to all.<BR><BR>bon voyage!<BR><BR>--chica
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:30 PM

I am very glad to hear what your doctor had to say about the virus.<BR>We were to leave Saturday for Thailand and we are canceling.<BR>Our doctor was very much against us going. <BR>I would also hate to think I might be the person who would bring the virus back to the States. <BR>We will go later. With our insurance we will loose about $500. Could be lots worse!<BR>We were worried enough about going with the war cloud over us, but with the virus too, the decision was easy to make.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:24 PM

While I absolutely understand the CDC's recommendation for people to cancel non-necessary travel to the region, I did want to present another point of view just in case there are others who have not yet decided.<BR><BR>Certainly, this is a decision each person needs to make for themselves in consultation with their doctor, and many people have already decided that the risk is too high for them.<BR><BR>On the other hand, the WHO and many other international health organizations have stated that as of today, they are not recommending restrictions for travel. The CDC has stated that &quot;There is no evidence to suggest that this can be spread through breath contact or through assemblages of large people; it really seems to require a fairly direct and sustained contact with a symptomatic individual.&quot; <BR><BR>I urge anyone facing the decision of whether or not to cancel travel to visit the website of the WHO (www.who.int) for the most updated information (they will be updating their website every day), as well as that of the CDC (www.cdc.gov), and above all to talk to their personal physician. <BR><BR>Again, I respect the decisions of those who have decided that the risk is too great for themselves, but I wanted to present another point of view for others who may be facing this decision.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Pity your Doctor did not give you the statistics for those in Canada per week/or day who die from virus infections! Or those who die in car accidents or from other preventable diseases.<BR>Sure it is of concern, simply amazing though the way anything such as this is hyped so much.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 10:50 AM

Well I am not going to argue here James, but really he was not being paranoid, but this is a society that is so click to sue and claim malpractice etc...so if your doctor told you not to go and you went got ill, died etc..(sorry to be so graphic), I think we will all be the first people to BLAME the doc ans he should have stopped us. Ultimately the decision is not going to be made by a doctor, I think it's a personal choice, having said that I can get the virus tommorrow right here in Canada. Yes more people die from accidents etc., but whoever wishes to go to Asia where be my guest..it's your life, I think the doctor is just doing his/her job that's all and I appreciated his advice. Asia isn't going to disappear tommorrow, I am very very upset to cancel my plans, but there are really worst things in life that can happen, also the unknowns about the virus is the biggest problem, at least I can take malaria tabs etc..but we don't know what we are dealing with.<BR><BR>Again it's my opinion.<BR><BR>good luck to all.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 03:58 PM

I think the best thing to do is to get updated info and weigh what level of risk you are willing to accept. I'm scheduled to go to Thailand on vacation next month, so when I heard that there had been cases reported in Thailand, I went to the WHO website (www.who.int) and found out that there has been only one &quot;imported&quot; case in Thailand and the country is not considered an affected area. So I'm still planning to go. <BR><BR>My suggestion for anyone who has a trip scheduled to Asia is to first get all the facts, then make a decision. The WHO site is updated daily so the information is always current.<BR><BR>Good luck!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 04:29 PM

From the latest WHO update (http://www.who.int/csr/don/2003_03_18/en/):<BR>&quot;Currently available findings from the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), continue to indicate that the overwhelming majority of cases are occurring in health care workers, and their families who have had direct contact with SARS patients. The number of cases without such close contact remains few, and no data indicate that this number is rapidly increasing. Based on current knowledge, WHO considers that the emergency travel advice issued on Saturday 15th March remains valid.<BR><BR>WHO advises that no restrictions on travel to any destination are necessary&quot;<BR><BR>I personally am comfortable (&amp; so excited!) to be heading to Vietnam &amp; Cambodia this weekend. If I do happen to come down with any flu symptoms I will be a lot more cautious than I otherwise would be &amp; will get medical attention immediately. Apart from that I jsut intend to enjoy my trip to the full!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:52 PM

LucyofOz, just wash your hands often, be careful what you eat (not that you get the flu from food, but other things), drink bottled water, and be prepared for very hot weather. In short, do what you were planning to do anyway. You will have a great time.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 06:54 PM

I am also due to travel mid April to Thailand and visited the Thai Airways website who are issuing face masks for their passengers who want them. My thought right now is that all precautions are being made and so I feel that this time is not as dangerous as a week or so ago when the virus/bacteria was not recognised. I am keeping my options open though and until my date of travel will keep track of developments. Thanks to Andrea for posting the WHO website URL.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 12:53 AM

WHO has just given Thailand the 'all clear'.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 05:33 AM

James - Where did you read the &quot;all Clear&quot; for Thailand? I just went to the WHO website and do not see it. I have friends traveling to Thailand in a few weeks who would like to read that.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 06:47 AM

Hi all again:<BR><BR>I am happy if people choose to go ahead with the plans..again as I said it's an individual decision, I don't think a country has an all-clear to be honest...you can get this from a plane load/bus load of people so just say Thailand got the all-clear...the chance of being on people with connecting flights to various asian countries/cities are great. That's just my 2 cents worth.<BR><BR>Again good luck to all who continue with travel plans. I personally will find it difficult to have a 100% enjoyable time as I will have this info at the back of my mind.<BR><BR>bon voyage!
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 10:28 AM

From a littel of what I've read, the virus is not airborne and have spread mainly through extensive exposure to afflicted individuals, such as family members or doctors.<BR><BR>Given the numbers, odds are travellers face much greater peril from road accidents, severe inclement weather, food poisoning, etc. either in their home countries or in Asia, than from this new disease.<BR><BR>I understand the concern and travellers should do what they are comfortable with, but it's important to put things in a some perspective.<BR><BR>Happy trails!
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Peep

Be careful crossing the street in Hanoi! The traffic there is INSANE!! We saw 2 collisions in 2 days there. Yikes!

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 02:14 PM

I've been on the CDC/WHO web sites every day as I'm planning to travel to China and Bangkok the first 3 weeks of May. Based on what I've read, I'm not cancelling my trip. The main statement that helped me to decide to continue with my plans is &quot;...the overwhelming majority of cases are occurring in health care workers, and their families who have had direct contact with SARS patients...&quot; If things get worse, and I hope not, then I'll reconsider. <BR><BR>I hope that everyone that travels to Asia is safe. Enjoy your trips!!<BR><BR>Monica P.<BR>
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 12:08 AM

The info I read (sorry, I cannot remember which site I saw it on) said that you cannot catch this illness from casual contact, and the example they gave was actually &quot;such as sitting on a plane with someone who is infected.&quot;<BR><BR>My family and I are travelling home for a visit on Monday (we live in Malaysia, but &quot;home&quot; is Canada), via Hong Kong, even. I'm not completely comfortable, and NOBODY is touching my child but my husband and myself, but otherwise we refuse to be paranoid.<BR><BR>Just my 2 cents.<BR><BR>Jen
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:06 AM

Hi Jen:<BR><BR>I appreciate your views and also respect them, just had to correct you about one teeny weeny thing. You mentioned no one is touching your child but yourself...I am no medical expert, but I do know from reading that the SARs virus whatever is spread by 'droplets', meaning, it' no like someone has to touch your child..I am glad you are not paranoid, neither am I to be honest, but I think such a cloud is put on a vacation with this, I cancelled my trip too, just because I totally did not want to have another big thing on my mind. I am pretty pretty open minded, I live in Canada, but I was born elsewhere and I have ancestral ties to Asia.<BR><BR>Anyway to summarize I just wanted to point out that you can get sick by someone coughing etc..who may have it..and I got that info from two confirmed travel doctors at the Toronto General Hospital in Canada.<BR><BR>Have a safe trip Jen, all the best.<BR><BR>--vistor.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Again, I would refer people to the WHO website; certainly, talk with your doctor, but the WHO experts are the ones working on this issue every day and who have the most accurate, up-to-date information.<BR><BR>Their website today states that there have been NO confirmed cases of SARS spread through casual contact on an airplane: &quot;Press reports have referred to 2 suspected cases of SARS, one in an airline crew member and a second in a passenger . . . Both suspected cases have been investigated and are now ruled out as cases of SARS.&quot;<BR><BR>The website repeats its message that it is transmitted only through CLOSE contact, which is defined as living with or caring for a confirmed case.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 06:07 PM

well that\s too bad chica.. I just flew out here 4 days ago Bangkok.. .and I only saw 1 peson with a face mast on EVA airlines.. well at least for bangers you have a bett3er chance of getting run over by these motercyclest who ridee on the sidewalk... I was wrned by my uncle the day I was leaving but I kind of shuned it of.. and if you do get sick in bangkok you have some of the best hospital in ther world here... <BR>