shots

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shots

How important are the shots? none are required. I know it's always safer to have them, but has anyone heard of someone getting hep a or b or malaria?
We plan on staying in or near cities.
thnx
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:18 AM

You might look at this recent thread:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...7&tid=34715240

You don't mention what your destination is, which of course does make a difference.

I would make a decision based on the recommendations of the CDC and your own physician.

CDC website:
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:33 AM

I agree with Marcy - take a look at the cdc website for good advice on immunizations, then talk with your doctor or a travel med doc.

I certainly do know of people contracting Hep A and malaria and typhoid in SE Asia. Which innoculations you need depend on exactly where you are going and what youl' be doing.

There are some immunizations you should have to even stay at home. Everyone should be current on tetanus. Measles/mumps/rubella (depending on your age), Polio, Hep A is wise no matter where you are traveling (and many people have the Hep A & B immunizatons in combination), typhoid is another that it is wise to have if you are going to an area where it is endemic, as it's a food and water borne illness (like Hep A)

Only some parts of Asia are malarial risk. Look carefully at the info on the cdc website.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 09:53 AM

hep a is very common in usa and elsewhere and malaria is not to be fooled with....are your chances huge of getting either, probably not, but do you take novicane at the dentist?? or do women you know take birth control measurers??
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM
sandi

There are loads of threads here on this very subject. But where are you going?

As the OP above have mentioned, you don't have to travel to be current on most inoculations you had as a child. Hep A and B are just as easy to get in your home city. Nothing to fool with. Tetanus and even a polio booster. And, as far as Malaria - nasty disease. Better be safe than sorry.

Read the cdc (and print info from) website, discuss with your personal physician in line with your own health history and make an intelligent decision. If you decide on going to a travel clinic, be aware they may offer overkill... so we wise and go prepared. Also TC tend to be expensive.

And check whether your insurance will pay for these, otherwise, be ready to spend some money for inoculations and your malaria meds.

Happy and healty travel.