Need Help Finding Job in Thailand

Old Dec 25th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Finding Job in Thailand

I need help finding a job in Thailand. Something other than teaching. Realestate is my business in the USA. Appraisals and sales. Bangkok or Pattaya is preferred. Thanks for any help regarding this matter.
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 05:55 AM

Apart from teaching ( which is very low paid ) your chances of finding a job are pretty much 0. For a start you need a Non-Imm 'B' Visa, for that you need letters from employer. Unless you work for a major foreign corporation such as finance/banks OR you set up your own company ( which requires financial investment etc etc ) who would not get a work permit ( required ).
I think you should look at Thaivisa.com and read the forums there, I am not 'raining on your parade' but the idea to pack up, move to Thailand and just look for a job, especially in real estate, sorry to say is not realistic. Also be very careful in the exctreme of time-share and the such as if you work without a permit you will find yourself in a prison cell and deported, it is not a 'telling off' it is a serious major issue. Check Thaivisa.com and you will begin to see what it is all about.
Your best bet is retaining work in the US and then trying to spend extended vacations.
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JamesA for your advise. I know it will be difficult to find work, but I guess I can keep an open mind on teaching. I am also looking into an internet import/export business with a fellow I meet in Thailand a about two years ago. Any ideas you might have would be appriciated. Thank you again. THAIGER
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:10 PM

I think your best bet is to take a vacation of at least two weeks and spend that time interviewing with real estate companies. If you have the experience to manage an office or a department, I would say you have a pretty good chance. My husband and I have been working as expatriates in Shanghai for 5 years (we're American), and in that time we've come across thousands of other expats who have worked all over Southeast Asia.

Real estate is one of the most popular fields for local-hire expats in many SE Asian countries; many people get their start doing residential/relocation and move thier way up. If you approach companies with several years of experience, preferably in management, I think you have a fairly good shot of landing a job, possibly even with a relocation package.

It will take time and persistance, though, since you will need to wait for the right opening. But don't give up! It took my husband a year and a half to find a job in Shanghai, but he found a great one!

I know there are several sites specifically for people working/wanting to work as expats in Thailand. Try doing a search on google. Asiaxpat is a pretty good site, and they have a Bangkok site.

Best of luck!
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Andrea Expat for you advice. I won't give up looking and I will checkout the site you recomended. Lucky for me I am a patient fellow or else I would go crazy looking for a job and a place to stay. Good luck to you, thanks Thaiger