Search

Medical Services

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medical Services

We're planning on staying at the Paradiso Playa Conchal and am trying to determine what type of medical services are available in the Guanacaste area. Anyone know? Thanks
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Not sure about that specific area, but we just returned home to the US. While hiking to a waterfall in Montezuma my while took a tumble and broke her hand. We took a taxi to a local clinic in Cobano. The taxi driver gave us the option of going to a private clinic or the local social security clinic. We chose the ss clinic because we figured it would be cheaper. After a very short half hour wait we saw a nurse and then the doctor. No one at the admissions desk spoke english(fortunately I spoke spanish) but it might have been difficult totherwise. The nurse was fantastic and even fed us mangos from the tree outside the clinic while we waited. When we saw the DR. she spoke perfect english. They had no xray machine there but in any case they splinted the damaged hand and gave us enough painkillers to last till we were to come back to the US. We paid a whopping 11000 colones for the treatment and the painkillers. FANTASTIC service! And the nurse gave us her number and told us to come visit her if we made it back. Costan Ricans are so so friendly and courteous. In any case I wouldn't worry too much about the medical care just in case of an emergency.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:08 AM

wow, be amazing to get that kind of service in the US for $25!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Folks from the United States would simply be blown away by the quality of medical care we receive here in Costa Rica. I go to a private doctor who charges me $20 for an office visit that lasts well over an hour. He makes house calls for the same price, by the way. Would your doctor in the U.S. do that?

My Tico doctor, who speaks perfect English, carries out a medical examination unlike anything I've experienced in the U.S. - so thorough it is astounding. He even asks questions to evaluate my mental state. The man really gives a darn, which is more than I can say for any U.S. doctor, who is overbooked and can't even remember your name, much less your medical issues.

The same medications and equipment available in the U.S. are available here, only cheaper.

Costa Rica citizens, of course, receive all this service for free - nationalize healthcare because Costa Rica has no military. All that money that props up the military establishment in other countries pays for healthcare and quality education in Costa Rica. What a concept, eh?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:31 PM

I work in a hospital here in the US and the nurse let me look around and check out all the equipment in the ER. Ceratinly not the most modern equipment available THIS MONTH, but definately adequate and not junk. Some of the stuff was actually pretty new. Looked to be a little short on supplies but we get spoiled with the excess here.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:46 AM

While in Playa Hermosa, I heard that the doctor at the pharmacy in the town of Sardinal was highly recommended. Also, a medical center in Sardinal is expected to serve the Guanacaste area in the future, so I heard.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:50 PM

There is a physician on staff at Paradisus. Also, in nearby Huacas (5 minutes), there is a Pacific Care Emergency Center with a Dr. on call 24 hours. His name is Jorge Calvo, I believe. A young guy, speaks English well. My daughter wore a pair of flip flops in Dec. that caused a little sore/blister and when she got in the ocean, it became infected. He was very helpful. We were leaving for San Jose the next day, and he told us to personally call him if the infection didn't appear to be better in 24 hours. All was well. The office call was $40, the prescription at the farmacia next door about $10.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your responses. Very much appreciated.