Search

Medical insurance????????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medical insurance????????

Hello:
Many thanks to the people that took the time to reply to my previous posting.
I'm very slowly planning my next trip to argentina and have tons of ?,kindly bear
with me.I was wondering for those people that
take an extended vacation into argentina(more
than the typical two or three weeks.How do you deal with the problem of health insurance,
had any experience,in the capital or provinces,would you be so kind to share it?
Thanks.....parigi.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:38 PM

The simplest thing is to check with whatever insurance you have in your home country, and ask if they cover you for emergencies while overseas. Most U.S. based plans do, I can't speak for other countries' plans.

But in terms of minor stuff, it's pretty unnecessary - the cost of going to a local emergency room or clinic is about the same as you probably would have on a co-pay anyway... depending on which one, around 50-60 pesos for a doctor's visit. There are also, if you don't mind waiting in line, free clinics and hospitals throughout the country - it's one of the best public hospital systems around - and accessible to anyone, citizen or not.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM

hiya, for what your medical insurance will cost why not do it, better then as you can if you should need something more choose the hospital, get your own room, not have to wait for attention, etc. Sure the health provision in argentina is ok, but for a little money get insurance for your own piece of mind. Travel insurance with medical included will include insurance for bagagge, travel problems etc. Especially good if you're travelling to various places.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM

gipsy... I had an experience with Hospitals and Puvçblic Health in Argentina. In 2003 my daughter got leukemia, we were in a hard economic possition at that time and had no medical insurance. At that moment we were told it was the best because in Argentina if you have no medical insurance you can get everything from tehe state. If you have it and if they do not pay in time, the medicine can no be provided in time and she could die. We have still our daughter with us and recently celebrated her 15th birthday with a big party! Medical insurance can be useless if you need it but you can be generous if you received the assistance in a HOspital.
Flintstones
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:30 PM

hi flintstones, im really glad to hear your daughter is well. But a question, do you live in Argentina ? Are you argentinian ? If so I believe you are right about health insurance but what about if you are a tourist ? My aunt lives in Argentina (I in Brasil ) she has cancer and has great treatment from the doctors etc there. But that is because she lives there. Is it the same for tourists ? For emergencies maybe but also for a consultation or if more treatment needed ? Thanks for your help./
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM

Tourists and expats get the exact same health care as Argentines, regardless of whether they go to a public hospital for free or a private hospital and pay. It's one of the reasons that so many people come here from neighboring countries, because it is the only place in South America with a free public health care system, and a high quality one, that's open to one and all.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM

It is true! In Argentina you have great professional doctors. I had some israelitas customers and one of them got sick in Angastaco...(almost the middle of nowhere) Theya had got something in the food in Bolivia and spent a night with vomits. SHe was afraid of medicine because whe was allergic to a collection of medicines, but I explained to the doctor and the doctor gave her an IV medicine and She was ok. There is no difference in the way foreigners are treated and in Argentina anybody can feel like at home. In some places in Argentina it is not worth you get an insurance because for sure it does not work everywhere. As the prior poster said... no difference.
Flintstones