Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance that would cover while traveling outside of US.?

Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:04 PM
K

Does anyone know of medical insurance that can be purchased just for coverage while traveling outside of the US? Something a person could purchase to cover them for a trip while traveling out of the states?

Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:38 PM
xxx

Yes, I reacll that there are several large travel ins. companies that specialize in this. One name I can think of is Access America, something like that. Your med. ins. from your workplace should be able to cover you also.

Nov 4th, 2002, 12:11 AM
JOdy

I've used TravelGuard several times , it can be purchased online. In addition to medical it also covers delays,ost luggage ans cancellations.

Nov 4th, 2002, 04:58 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

When we were in Paris last spring my husband 's perpetual sinus infection flared up. He saw a doctor and got several prescriptions filled. We paid and he submitted the receipts to his HMO and was reimbursed. So if you just concerned about a minor expense like this is it worth getting the extra insurance? If on the other hand you know that your regular insurance won't cover you that is another matter.

Nov 4th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Jen

The first thing you should do is figure out what coverage your current insurance would provide -- my HMO covers any emergency that would arise. You might need only evacuation insurance, if that.

Nov 4th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Betty

A very useful site for travel insurance is www.insuremytrip.com Here you can compare the policies of several companies, including Travel Guard. They offer packages that include several types of insurance and others that are just for medical, or other needs.

Nov 4th, 2002, 06:08 AM
orgy7

how long are you planning too travel if you are going for more then six months or 1year plus check out ex-patriot plans..

Nov 4th, 2002, 11:32 PM
K

Thank you all. You have very helpful. We are concerned because my husband was in the hospital last week. His dr. has assured us he is able to travel but we really want to have medical coverage if we should need it. I will check our medical ins. to see if it covers us. My husband has medicare and a supplement ins. I will check my ins. provider.
We are going to St. Thomas in Dec. and have been planning a trip to Europe for spring.

Nov 5th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Martha

K: Several years ago in Switzerland, I was in a scooter accident (one of those coaster type things, not anything motorized) on day three of a 2 1/2 week vacation and broke my jaw. To make a long story short I broke my jaw in two places, spent 3 nights in Kantonspital Lucerne, and had surgery to put in two metal plates and wire my jaw shut. My regular insurance did cover my hospital stay and surgery etc. However, my husband had much difficulty trying to get the insurance company to assure the hospital that it would pay (as it turned out the insurance staff didn't know how to fax the confirmation paperwork using international phone lines.). Up until receiving confirmation, the hospital had wanted to charge the bill on our credit card however,we were worried about doing this, as we were afraid the bill would max it out and leave us with few resources for money for the rest of the trip. After my husband explained to the insurance people how to make international phone calls, the hospital received the confirmation papers they wanted (although it was several hours after my 5-hour surgery). Then as it turned out, the insurance did not pay the hospital, but sent reimbursement to us in US$ once we got back to the States. This meant we had to make arrangements to pay the hospital -- and as it turned out, we ended up giving them authorization to charge our credit card. Anyway, the up shot of this story is, your current insurance will probably cover any hospital stay in Europe, however, it will not send reimbursement to the hospital. Therefore it might be worth the precaution to have a spare credit card to use just in such an emergency situation.

Nov 5th, 2002, 03:40 AM
k

Martha - you poor thing! What a nightmare! Glad you are OK now!

And yes, your current health insurance should cover travel outside the US. I had to use an eye doctor in Puerto Rico for an infection, and although it took a few phone calls and a little hassle, my company picked up the tab. Good luck and happy travels!
Karen

Nov 5th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Sam

Uh-oh, K has reported that her husband is on Medicare. This is not private health insurance, of course, it is government welfare. Medicare does not cover overseas health care, those dollars must stay in the US. The supplement, if it is private,won't pay for things that Medicare will pay for. And a new travel insurance policy will probably exclude pre-existing conditions.

Nov 5th, 2002, 05:23 AM
not

Medicare is not government "welfare"! We pay for it the same as you pay for your health insurance at work

Nov 5th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Caitlin

Medicare does not cover travel outside the US. Most travel insurance does not cover preexisting condition (which includes recent hospital stays). However, there are some travel insurance companies that waive the exclusion for preexisting conditions if you pay the full premium within a certain number of days of applying; I recommend you go with this approach, which I have used in the past. Look at www.state.gov at the travel info section. They have a list of travel insurers that you can start with. Go to the ones with web links so you can familiarize yourself with the language and coverage options. Very important: you MUST read and understand all the fine print. As with all insurance, there are many loopholes and exceptions to look out for.

Nov 5th, 2002, 06:44 AM
xxx

Check www.IMGLOBAL.com

They may be able to help

Nov 5th, 2002, 07:15 AM
JOdy

check your medicare supplement too. Ours covers travel outside the US with full coverage. And if you pay with travelguard and some otheres within so many days of booking pre-exsisting conditions are covered.

Nov 6th, 2002, 03:40 PM
K

Wonderful news! I hope this might help others who have the same concerns we have. Medicare will cover you if you are traveling in a US territory, which is Guam, US Virgin Is. or Puerto Rico.
I also check my husbands supplemental insurance and he is covered when we travel outside the US.
Thanks to all for your helpful responces.

Nov 7th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Ann

You may have trouble getting insurance, or will have to pay a very high premium since your husband was just in the hospital. Best thing to do is to contact a travel agent, as they can give you the best info on this.

Nov 9th, 2002, 05:10 PM
topper

to the top