Search

Margaritaville in Belize?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Margaritaville in Belize?

I am looking for a laid back place to go in Belize for our 30th anniversary. I do not want pretentious but would like an ex-pat type feel; casual, safe, clean rooms and bathrooms and good food and bar. Beach front or easy access a must. We have traveled a lot recently to some "high end" places and, while lovely, I want something more intimate: a little snorkeling, a hammock, some beer and a book type place. Have thought Belize might be a good location. Any thoughts??
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Are you looking for a full service resort? Or a condo type place? Want to be in town, or more isolated?

San Pedro Belize is our favorite place to hang out. Loads of good restaurants, fun beach bars, friendly expats.

Some people consider it too 'touristy', for Belize it certainly is. Compared to other Caribbean destinations, not really. (Not that we've been to that many Caribbean islands.)

Caye Caulker and Placencia are other beach destinations. Each more low key and laid back. I like both of them, but my heart belongs in San Pedro.

PS, we're celebrating our 30th anniversary this year as well.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Don't think we want a condo if it means no housekeeping service but if it is in a time share type arrangement with housekeeping, that might be ok. We definitely need to be on the beach but having close proximity to a town, would be great. On the other hand, we don't want to be "isolated". We've been to St. Kitts (The Golden Lemon) and Aruba (Renaissance Aruba) and, many years back, to Isla Mujeres, before it was "discovered". We'd like that sort of immersion into the Carribean scene, clean accommodations but with some ex-pat feel and better food.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Pausanias

Take a look at http://www.sunbreeze.net/. I mention it because it is in San Pedro, has a decent beach, a pool, and what I thought the best restaurant in town http://bluewatergrillbelize.com/.

Out of town and more upmarket (in my mind Margaritaville ought to be a bit funky) is Banyan Bay and Victoria House. These are increasingly family and yuppie oriented. So go wid da funk.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

I agree with the funk as long as it is not some incurable fungus between my toes... Thanks for the web sites. Will check them out.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:07 PM

We stayed at Banyan Bay (condo/timeshares w/ daily maid service) and would certainly recommend it. However, while we did not stay there, I'dseriously consider Sunbreeze if we went back. Primarily based on location....walking distance to town/bars/restaurants.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Both the Palms and Belizean Reef are condos that are right on the south edge of town. We've stayed at both, they're condos, and both have daily maid service. In fact, I think most, if not all, the 'condotels' have maid service. Biggest difference between the two is that the Palms has a pool and the Reef doesn't. They're next door to Ramon's, thatch roof resort type place that some people love and others feel is very overpriced. What they do have is a very nice stretch of beach. Even some decent snorkeling off their pier, we've seen rays, nurse sharks, eels, and numerous fish there.

Sunbreeze is very close to the above properties, great restaurant, nice looking pool. But, for about the same money, you can get a fully furnished condo, with lots more room.

If you want something more like Isla, look at Caye Caulker or Placencia. Much less developed. Also means less restaurants, but certainly plenty.

I just have such a good time in San Pedro, I keep going back there.

We were in St. Kitts this past January. Had a great time, but didn't want to rent a car, so cab fares were high. One more reason to love San Pedro or Caulker, no rental cars. On Caulker, very few cars period. Seems like there are more and more on Ambergris, but still way more golf carts and bicycles.

When do you want to travel?
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM

your best option for the type of feel you are looking for is Belize Yacht Club www.belizeyachtclub.com
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:16 AM
Cvechko

Sounds like you like the same kind of place that we do. The Jaguar Reef Lodge in Hopkins (Stann Creek District) is what you are looking for. The website is www.jaguarreef.com.

The Lodge & rooms are VERY VERY nice & has a great local feel. Fits the description you wrote. The Lodge sits on the Caribbean and the Rainforest is at the back door.

The hotel employees & tour guides were the friendliest & most helpful of all the places we have stayed.

It is very laid back, clean, & safe. Casual - you can go straight into dinner from the beach if you want - no dressing up for dinner.

You can lay on the beach & relax or go on the many tours offered by the Lodge (tours are small groups of 10-15 people). You can get a room only or one of the several packages they offer. There is excellent snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, tubing in caves, & much more. Snorkeling right off the beach is not great but the lodge offers daily snorkeling trips out to the reef in small groups. Snorkeling is excellent - we have been snorkeling in many areas of the Caribbean & found this snorkeling to be second only to the north side of Grand Cayman.

The area is off the beaten path of busy tourism but is not isolated. From the Lodge tours etc., we got to know several other people & everyone loved the Jaguar Reef Lodge. No one had a bad word to say about it.

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:16 AM

Mata Rocks is a hotel in San Pedro that has the exact vibe you describe... small and intimate, great place to relax with a book and a beer. Although there's no restaurant there, but a few within walking distance. It's also not very upscale, but rooms are clean and nice. If you want something more luxurious, I'd definitely check out Victoria House.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:36 PM

I highly recommend The Palms condos on San Pendo island (Ambergris Caye). It is just south of town, so a little less crowded than the in town places. But it is still an easy walk to lots of bars and restaurants.

San Pedro has lots of what I call semi-gourmet restaurants. The dress is usually casual, although you might want to dress up for some(i.e., collared shirt, khakis).

At the Palms, each unit has a nice balcony. There is a bar on either side of the resort. I look forward to going back.
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM
AlJ

Hi VtMaid
I don't know if you're still looking or not. We have our 30th anniversary this summer but we'll be at Yellowstone instead of Belize. We've been to Caye Caulker twice and like it. I might give it our "One Particular Harbor" status along with a couple of other places. We put a bunch of pictures from there on our family website. If you're interested, feel free to check http://www.AlandSueJohnson.com. Look under trip reports. From the title of your post, you might enjoy the several pictures from Buffett shows too. Look under Beach Music.

We did stay pretty much beach front on both trips.