Search

manuel antonio

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manuel antonio

We are thinking of going to M.A. in January. I have no idea if it is too late to get reservations. But if it is possible, which hotel do you think is a better option for our family (two daughters, ages 19 and 27)--Si Como No, Tulemar, or Buena Vista Villas? I originally thought Si Como No, but I guess I've been reading some negative things lately.

Are 6 nights too long in M.A.? We don't ride horses, and I'm not sure about canopy tours. But it doesn't seem like it's enough time to go to two separate destinations. We are thinking of getting a driver to get us from the airport in San Jose to M.A. or should we just rent a car?
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 04:09 AM

6 nights in MA would be a bit long for us, but others would say that it was just right. You don't need 2 locations--spend 3 nights in MA for your beach time, then head back to the airport area (lots of lovely hotels in this area or just small B&B's) and spend the last few days enjoying the sights in the central part of the country. There are some fantastic day trips which I think you would all enjoy. Whitewater rafting, coffee plantations, orchid gardens, butterfly farms, waterfalls, 3 volcanoes, including Arenal, with its constant lava flow. etc. Absolutely a ton of things to choose from--and it is simply a gorgeous part of Costa Rica, that radius of 50 miles or so all around San Jose.

Las Orquideas Hotel would be an excellent choice for your stay, and they have Wadi tours--they would take very good care of you and make sure you guys had the best time ever.

Any of those hotel choices would be good; we thoroughly enjoyed Si Como No and would stay there again, although it is a little expensive these days. Great hotel with good restaurants, excellent gift shop and art gallery, etc. Also you might consider Costa Verde, which is a good value. Front desk staff a little "stiff", but views are stupendous. Hotel California not bad, Villa Nicolas gets good reviews--there are LOTS of hotels in Manuel Antonio--good ones. I'll bet you can find something later in January after New Year's. Good luck!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:13 AM

If you planned to just stay in Manuel Antonio area - you don't need a car. Ask your hotel to arrange transportation from San Jose. 6 days is definately enough time for two locations. Depends what you want to do etc. You could go to Dominical for a night or two its only 2 hours from MA.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

It looks like Las Orquideas is in Monteverde? Or is there another one nearer to the airport?

What about Xandari? Someone I know stayed at the Marriott outside of San Jose at both ends of her trip and actually liked it a lot?
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Buena Vista Villas & Tulemar are on the same property. W/ a family you may want to go w/ Tulemar, as you get a breakfast buffet included, BVV just delivers, fruit, etc. to your room. BUT, on the other hand the benefit to BVV is that you would have two floors (assuming you rented a whole villa) for privacy.

If it were me, I'd try for Villa Mot Mot @ Tulemar if it's available...it's similar to the BVV setups.

The private beach that comes along w/ Tulemar / BVV puts them both ahead of Si Como No for a family in my opinion.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM

And yeah, the Orquideas Inn is near the airport...15 minutes or so away. Great place to stay.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

How do the Orquedias Inn and Vista del Valle compare? If we are willing to spend more, is Vista worth it? Is it is problem that it doesn't have air conditioning? Is the Orquedias more fun for our family?