Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

First time visiting Costa Rica...NEED SUGGESTIONS :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to take a trip to Costa Rica for my birthday in January with a group of girlfriends. None of us have been there so we're not sure where to stay in terms of geographic location. We want to indulge in beautiful beaches and privacy, but we don't want to be too far from civilization (if you know what I mean). I've read that driving in Costa Rica can be a nightmare, i.e. takes forever to get from one place to another.

Where should we stay so we can enjoy both gorgeous beaches and great restaurants/nightlife? Is that possible? Some of the places we're thinking are Manuel Antonio, Dominical, Tamarindo and Nosara. Where would you guys go?

Also, should we rent a car or just use taxis/car service? I'm not too concerned with price. More concerned about ease and safety.

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Hire a van service and dont plan on traveling to too many places. We went form san jose to Manuel Antonio and it took 3 hours 15 minutes driving and 20 minutes flying. Manuel antonio is a great area to visit. Beach is fabulous if you are a surfer. It is starting be be developed but still has a rustic feel. Good restaurants. Not a resort area. More laid back. Dont miss zip lining!
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 01:08 AM

I think Manuel Antonio is a good choice. There are a lot of hotel and restaurant choices, easy wildlife spotting, and a beautiful beach inside the park. Not so much nightlife really though. Check out Si Como No, Mango Moon, Costa Verde, Tulemar Bungalows, Buena Vista Villas, or Villas Nicolas and see if any of those appeal to you guys. You can do a guided tour of the park to see wildlife, swim, horseback ride, zipline, and do a mangrove tour.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 03:36 AM

www.manuelantoniopark.com

www.tulemar.com

www.mangomoon.net

www.buenavistavillas.net

www.costaverde.com CV2

With a group good drivers like

www.tripadvisor.com/members/roadadvisor

make good sense...have fun,
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM

You should spend at least 2 - 3 nights in Arenal. Granted there are NO beaches there but...there are so many young people there with multiple activities and a fun, fun discotech (on the weekends).

My husband and I partied there like we were in college again.

Manuel Antonio also offers some night life but beware Costa Rican's don't go out until about 10 pm!