Search

Costa Rica with Kids

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica with Kids

We leave for Costa Rica on 12/8. 2 adults, 2 kids almost 5 and 7. Spending first night in San Jose. Then 3 nights MA, 3 nights Arenal, 3 nights Monteverde 2 nights Rincon De La Vieja and 3 nights Playa Hermosa before leaving from Liberia Airport. Have hotels and transportation worked out, now looking for interesting tours, day trips, cool things to check out. Kids are adventurous and into animals, bugs, and water. Would zipline be okay? Also, would love help on any restaurant ideas for 4 Vegetarians. Muchas Gracias!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:24 AM

My 7 and 10 yos loved Costa Rica but they would have revolted over that many changes in location.

Having said that:

Monteverde was a huge favourite - frog ponds, bug zoo, hikes etc. We didn't do the zip lines with them until the youngest was 10.

They loved the Vendado Caves at Arenal and loved something similar to the Cano Negro boat trip. We did one near Palo Verde.

We did a whale watching trip in MA and spent time in the parks - the sloths and monkeys were a big hit.

Be very careful of rip tides at MA. We got swept out despite being cautious. It would have been a disaster if my kids hadn't been older and strong swimmers. One dad told me he almost lost his child despite being vigilant and only in knee deep water.

Have fun.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM

do cano negra, visit la fortuna waterfall, there is a crocodile sanctuary called 'cocodrilus valle' about 500meters north of the church in la fortuna:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html

in monteverde there is a vegetarian restaurant called flor de vida, halfway between the town of santa elena and the monteverde reserve:

http://monteverde.typepad.com/montev...rde/index.html
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM

and, visit 'bagaces waterfall' as it's commonly known.
it's about 1 hours drive from Hermosa,and it's free:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/photos...aterfalls.html
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM

My kids loved everything about Costa Rica! They are 7 & 10 and both did the zip line. We did it in Mal Pais and the guides were awesome, my kids rode tandem with them.