Search

Malaria Drug for CR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malaria Drug for CR

Does anyone take the malria drug (chloroquine) when they travel to CR. My dr. has said I should take it before I go but its up to me to decide? Anyone have any thing to add? Thanks Buck

Leaving Nov. 18th
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM

Where in Costa Rica are you going? That would be the deciding factor for me.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know where Buck is going, but we are leaving Nov. 5 - going to MA, Arenal, Carribean(PV/Tortuguero).

Let me know, Jeff Costa Rica

MY
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM

I would take them if you're going up near the CR/NI border.

Personally I haven't taken them.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:57 PM

Look at the map of Costa Rica.

If you are going into the Province of Puerto Limon or to the Cano Negro ,Los Chile area then you might want to consider.

if you take the chloroquine then take it 2 weeks before you go...it is taken once a week on the same days each week.

Percy

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM

MichelleY,
We have been to everywhere you're going in CR several times and have never taken malaria meds. We did take them for SE Asia last winter.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM

We've taken two trips to CR and haven't taken them.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:43 PM

Most people I know haven't taken anything for Malaria for trips to Costa. Like Jeff says, it depends what area you are visiting. But if you are in an area with mosquitoes, be sure to use some sort of repellant. Dengue fever is getting to be a problem, especially in the area around Limon.
Having said that, I can't give blood for a year after traveling in Alajuela. Go figure.
PS Costa Rica's mosquitos are nothing compared to the ones you find in Wisconsin or Minnesota
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM

Our family traveled to CR this August and all of us took malaria meds because both my physician and my childrens pediatrician looked at the CDC website and based on where we were traveling they both confirmed we should take them. The kids(teens) & I took the chloroquine and my husbands doctor prescribed him Malarone. The Malarone was very expensive so I suggest the chloroquine. That is also the malaria med that the website recommends. NONE of us had any side effects from either drug.Note: the month before we left on our vacation the cover of our National Geographic magazine arrived with the cover reading MALARIA- the world's #1 killer. So that reaffirmed our position to be better safe than sorry. Also, if you check the website, strangely enough, Alejuela (where the San Jose airport is) is listed as a malaria area. Or at least it was in August.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM

agswimmer - that's always been my beef with the CDC website and Dr's who strictly adhere to it. Alajuela (and the airport) is yes, in Alajuela province. Alajuela province stretches all the way North to the CR/NI border where a very few isolated cases have been reported. Rather than stating an advisement for travelers for just that area, they just say the entire province and leave it at that. A Dr who specializes in Travel Medicine knows this, a general practioner usually does not.

To the OP, most peolple who travel to the "usual suspects" of MA, Arenal, etc do not get the meds. I would suggest consulting with a Dr who is versed in Travel Medicine if you are on the fence.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM

OK... have to jump in. We (family of four - 2 kids 7 and 9) got the Hep B vaccination, but nothing else to prepare medically for our Arenal, MA and Osa visit in November. Our family doctor didn't seem concerned in the least but also didn't ask where in CR we are travelling. I have read what some of you have said about Arenal and MA... what about the Osa?
Just a little over 6 weeks away and I must admit I am getting a bit nervous. This is our most ambitious trip with our kids yet!
Thanks for any info (read "assurance&quot
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM

Hi, campjulie - we did the Osa in July and did not take any shots or meds. I asked Philip at BdC about it, and he said he didn't feel it was necessary. Dengue fever was in the news when we were there, but it was hitting the Caribbean side, and as far as I know there's no preventative for Dengue. We were careful to wear repellant though. By the way, I found out what happened with your cabin at BdC - remember when they accidentally gave Tucan away even though you had it booked? It was to a woman in my office! She was reading the boards and said that you had it booked first, so you should get it, and she got moved to another cabin.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 03:53 AM

campjulie - at least for me, the same applies to the Osa, after several visits. Actually the Osa is usually where I've had the least problems, especially at BdC - maybe due to the breezes?
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the responses.

volcanogirl: What a small world! And.. how thoughtful of the woman in your office with the Tucan cabina. So I bet we will get to meet her if we are staying at BdC the same time.

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Yes, I believe she is traveling with her mother. She cracked me up when she came in my office one day and said, "Hey, are you volcanogirl?!" Weird collision of two worlds!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:11 AM

I have been advised just make sure you use plenty of deet and cover up, especially at night.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 11:48 PM

Julie,

Are you sure you didn't get twinrix for Hep A and B? I think it is more common to receive both together, and if only one was offered, I would prefer protection from Hep A, just because of the route of entry into the body seems more "likelÿ".

I thought solo Hep B vaccinations were given years ago - I had the Hep B as a health care worker, as Hep B spreads by contact with bodily fluids, whereas Hep A spreads via the fecal/oral route meaning that a person can ingest the virus by eating salads, fruit, ice in drinks.

If you still need to get the Hep A shot separately, do it ASAP and then the followup booster in 6 months.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 05:56 AM

On another forum I just learned of these country-specific CDC sites:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationcostarica.aspx

Keep in mind that, once contracted, malaria can be a life-long plague. My beloved Uncle Chuck endured devasting revisits of the malaria he contracted during WWII until his death a few years ago.

I'm really fond of the Sawyer Controlled Release Deet product:

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/sawyer...lent/index.htm

Long sleeves and pants at dawn and dusk or in areas where mozzies are bad all day is a good idea, too.

In our travels to endemic areas in Guatemala, Honduras, and Belize we've always taken chloroquine without noticeable side effects.

Happy trails!