Search

Mal Pas Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mal Pas Trip Report

My Fiance and I just got back from Costa Rica. She was my girlfriend when we left, so that should begin to tell what a GREAT time we had!

We only had 7 days, so we spent the entire time in Mal Pais and Casa Chameleon. Well, we actually did venture out of Mal Pais and the hotel...or retreat...Anyway, WOW I've been to the Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area many times but
there are places and restaurants I had never tried,until this trip thanks to Bobbie and Anthony (the owners of Casa Chameleon).

I'll try not to be too long winded but I will say that I really like the "small hotel thing". It was nice to have the advice from people who live there. Also, I couldn't have made the proposal so unique without Anthony and Bobbie's help.

I have to share one special day...
We had a great breakfast in our room.
Relaxed a while by the pool.
Went for a short walk in the jungle behind Casa Chameleon (saw white-face monkeys). Came back went for a little swim and got snorkling gear from Anthony.
Headed to a private beach he had already shown me.
Walked down a jungle path to find an amazing table set with flowers and terrific food.
The chef opened the bottle of wine and then excused himself (disappeared into the jungle).
We had a great lunch and lounged around until low tide.
We then went snorkling and saw some great colorful fish. I pointed to a shell and had
Jen pick it up (it was shallow enough to reach it without diving). I started to open it a bit but let her finish. Inside was a ring. Her face under water was really great.
I can't really describe it. I pointed to her like, Yeah, it's for you but she started choking and we both popped our heads out of the water and she started SCREAMING. It was great!
Anyway, the rest of our trip was great as well. I think Jen cried a bit every day after our snorkling trip.She said she was overwhelmed by how beautiful the nature and animals were. I don't know exactly what it was but I think they were at least happy tears.
Probably needless to say but we're talking about a Costa Rican wedding.
Who knows, maybe we'll follow in Anthony and Bobbie's footsteps and give up the material world for the simple life. Now I get the term PURA VIDA

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM

What a wonderful proposal! In such a beautiful place. Thanks for your report. I haven't been to Mal Pais but of course it on the (always growing) list!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:10 PM

What a wonderful proposal. My husband (who is also quite a romantic) was quite impressed. We leave for CR in 2 days. Five of our days will be spent in the Southern Nicoya Peninsula.

You had answered some of my questions in the past. You mentioned places and restaurants that you had never tried before this trip. Would you mind sharing some of those? Any not to miss places to check out while we are in Malpais? We're hoping for our three days in Malpais to be filled of seclusion and romance.

Congratulations!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Wow, surfexec! What fun to read your report--you do know how to top off a special day! Lucky girl. . .
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone! It was nice to share our trip with you.

Regarding some of the restaurants...here are some that we really enjoyed. I hope she doesn't mind, but I'm copying from a list Bobbie gave me.
1.Mary's(which most people know about now) in Mal Pais
Great burritos and fish tacos. The yellowfin was perfect as well.

2. Al Chile Viola (Mediterranean cuisine) located in Santa Teresa.
Great lasagna. Bread with HOT chile oil really good if you like burn your lips HOT. Nice romantic atmosphere.

3.Los Piedras (Chicken and Ribs)
located in Santa Teresa just before Super Ronnies.

4. Buenos Aires
Great view to have drinks at sunset.
Owners are terrific people from Argentina.

5. Jungle Juice (In Santa Teresa just past Tuanis and Hidden Coast Realty)
Healthy food. Great fish tacos.

As far as places go. There were several secluded beach spots that I had never been to but I wouldn't feel right giving those away. It's not like the area is crowded so you'll be able to find great private spots just driving around too.

I would recommend the canopy tour in Mal Pais and a day trip to Montezuma to see the waterfalls and have lunch at Coco Lorres (great ceviche).

If your lucky enough to stay at Casa Chameleon they have alot of great ideas to make the trip extra special...Obviously,they did for me.

PURA VIDA

BTW, if anybody rides mountain bikes Anthony is a cyclist and it sounds like he knows great trails. I don't know how he does it in the heat, but I'm not a cyclist.

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the tips!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:01 PM

My husband and I just got back from Mal Pais last night. We spent our last night at Casa Chameleon - awesome place! It was neat to hear your great story while there. I agree that this place is wonderful - wish we had been able to stay our entire week there. It was awesome sitting on the balcony listening to only animals, the ocean and nature - I could have stayed there forever! Congratulations again!
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:04 AM

surfexec,
Did you have to wire money to costa rica beach rentals to reserve your room at Casa Chameleon?
Thanks Mike
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

I actually booked directly through Casa Chameleon on their web site www.hotelcasachameleon.com. But yes, I did wire the full payment to them in advance.

I actually was happy to have the room paid for, so the cash I brought was just for food, etc.

Most small places such as this that I have stayed require full payment to book the house/room. They would go out of business if they turned other people away and then the booking cancelled.

Just make sure the place exists (Casa Chameleon is real), is the only advice I can give. Also, if you have a change of dates let them know as soon as possible and they may let you change if space is available. I once had this happen with a house I rented.

If you go to Casa Chameleon I'm sure you will have a great time!
Pura Vida!
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Mikeyd,
Forgot to mention that when I was there they were waiting on a credit card machine, so they might have it now. You may want to ask.