Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Mal Pais / Santa Teresa hotel help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was all settled in for 4 nights at Moana Lodge in Mal Pais. Fortunately for them (but not for me!) they rec'd funding to expand & will now close the hotel May-Nov.

They have suggested the Hotel Esencia, which looks nice but I'm not completely sold on it, anyone stayed here before?

I really love Latitude 10 (next to FlorBlanca) and Casa Cameleon but both have the same drawbacks - not very close to many restaurants/cafes/etc and I won't have a car. Should I overlook that detail? Are taxi's fairly easy to come by & reasonable? I've looked at other hotels (The Place, Milarepa, Tropico Latino) but so far none are really grabbing me, any other ideas?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM

SHOOT...

Well, I hope I can help. This is a great source for Mal Pais Info and Hotels

http://www.malpais.net/hotelsandlodging.html

I think that you will really enjoy La Hacienda, it is really cute and conveniently located right near Moana Lodge. Reception will be able to call you a taxi if you need it and they will have a set rate from the hotel to most destinations. Ask in advance so you can avoid being ripped off. check out this satellite map for locations.

http://www.malpais.net/MalpaisSantaT...Hotels/map.htm

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Tully, I'm pretty sure you've already thought of this, but check with the hotels you are interested in to see if they offer transportation (easy taxis or shuttle) down to "the strip"--I'm thinking primarily of Casa Chameleon, which has gotten good reviews.

I still think you'd enjoy TL if you could snag that beachfront bungalow--great central location, excellent proximity to the beach and those sunsets!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Hi Tully,

I DEFINITELY recommend transportation for the Mal Pais area no matter where you stay. All of the restaurants are spread along the dusty road from Mary's at the end of Mal Pais to a great cheap lobster place in Manzanillo at the other end.

You could always rent a car or quad for a few days. There is a Budget rental car place in Mal Pais. I just don't see how you can really enjoy this area without transportation.

It's not like Montezuma where everything is in a small area. Which, BTW I enjoyed for the day, but I didn't need more than a day in Montezuma. It's just really small.

It only takes minutes by car to get to so many cool places in Mal Pais that just aren't walkable. The taxi service is hit or miss because they don't seem to like taking people on short rides. They probably will, but I bet they charge high $. I don't see how this would work anyway to have a taxi drop you off at one of the great remote beaches because how will you get a ride back?

Anyway, IMHO you will miss out on many cool things in Mal Pais without transportation. If you stay at Tropico Latino you can walk easier to some things, but your still stuck in that one area that to me is the yucky area of Santa Teresa. It's a shame to go to such a gorgeous place and not see the best things.

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks all, I have decided to stay at Horizon Hotel, seems to fit what I need perfectly. An added plus is the kitchenette to make lunch if beed be and the small restaurant on site.

siempre - thanks for the info, I think what I will do is pretty much play it by ear when I get there. I really don't want to drive an atv but if I find it a little isolating I may end getting a car. Though I really don't want to, driving alone in CR is not something I've ever wanted to do (not really regarding safety, just regarding the roads, my strong powers to get lost in any situation etc). I'll be coming from Bosque de Paz and heading to Bosque del Cabo (so lots of hiking!), so my time in Santa Teresa/Mal Pais will pretty much be the relaxation part of vacay, so other than a trip to Cabo Blanco and maybe a daytrip to Montezuma, I don't have much on mind to do or see other than walk around, chill on the beach etc.

I will definitely give more time to Montezuma though, maybe go over in the morning and come back after dinner, check out the beach, the waterfall, the town etc.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Sounds like a good plan Tully! I'm sure you can take a cab to Montezuma in the morning, enjoy your day there, and take a cab back. The two best restaurants I think are Cafe Playa de los Artistes which is just across from the waterfall parking and Coco Lore which is in the center of Montezuma. Both are walkable. Have a great time!