Search

honeymoon hotel--June 3-8

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honeymoon hotel--June 3-8

My future wife and I have decided on the Southern Nicoya, but we can't decide between El Sano Bonano in Montezuma and the Tropico Latino in Malpais/Santa Teresa. Both have beach front bungalows available. We know El Sano Banano doesn't have a/c (is this even necessary?) and that is is going to be a little more touristy, and we really are looking to get away. However, we're worried Malpais/Santa Teresa will be too far away and that we won't have anything to do in town as far as restaurant and bars go. We'd really appreciate any advice from travelers who've stayed at either. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:57 PM

I think Mal Pais has a lot more to do and see than Montezuma. If you want to surf There is no good surf in Montezuma that I've found.Only one right which isn't that great. You should check out http://www.costarica-beachrentals.com for more info about the Mal Pais area. They also are very helpful with hotel and car reservations. Tropico is OK but there are nicer places for honeymoons I think.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:37 PM

We are going to this area next week and staying at El Sano and Milarepa in Malpais. From what I have heard, if you are looking for more romantic then based on your two choices it seems El Sano would be the way to go.

Not sure what you are looking for, though. Milarepa in Malpais is about the same price as El Sano. More secluded. We wanted some nightlife and some seclusion so we did both.

Maybe some others that have been to both areas can give you more insight.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:25 PM

My husband and I just returned from a week in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa. We did a day trip to Montezuma - 35 minute drive from Mal Pais. We would definitely not want to stay in Montezuma - much better places to stay, eat and atmosphere in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area and not much further, like I said about 30 minute more drive - worth it! You will have no problems finding good restaurants and bars - recommendations would be Flora Blanca (expensive), lesser expensive - Tropico Latino, Ritmo Tropical, Mary's - all very good food.

Regarding places to stay there - we spent 4 nights at Luz de Vida - pretty nice-a/c and on same side of road as beach, but I would probably have chosen it's neighbor, Tropico Latino instead if they had been available. For nicer, quiet atmosphere - Milarepa and Flora Blanca ($300+) very nice - further down road of Santa Teresa. We spent our last night at Casa Chameleon - absolutely amazing and beautiful place - wonderful owners. Only drawbacks are more expensive $180 than Tropico Latino and on a steep hill, a bit of a walk to get to beach - but awesome ocean views from place and pool and there are only 2 bungalows right now, but truly wonderful and private. Also, note if looking in this area, a lot of places to stay are away from beach and good walk to get there. But, this area is really beautiful and many secluded beach spots to explore. Also, a/c is highly recommended - we could not have been comfortable w/o it! All places I mentioned have a/c. Good luck w/ planning trip.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Also check out www.malpais.net if decision leads you to stay there - great site for planning your trip.
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:28 AM

Turtlemoye,
Nice to hear you had such a great time.
I agree with you about Mal Pais being better than Montezuma.
I have a question about malpais.net
I tried on several occasions to book hotels through them and could not get a response or they replied that the hotels were booked. All except Luz devida. I later found out that MalPais.net pushes Luz devida because they are connected with the hotel. The other hotel owners I spoke with said they were NEVER contacted about my reservation requests.

My question is thisid you book through
malpais.net? If so,just Luz devida or Casa Chameleon also?
Just curious.
Again, happy to hear you had such a nice time!
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:02 AM

We stayed at El Sano Banano, my step daughther has stayed at Tropico Latino. If interested her screen name is Audraf, you could search for her report.

ESB has several beach bungalows and suites that are truly beach front, whereas TL has one, maybe two that are truly beach front. So if being directly on the beach is important, make certain the hotel understands your request.

ESB bungalows and suites are about 15 min walk from the town of Montezuma, very quite, relaxing, wonderful place.

One poster replied that they would not want to stay in Montezuma. I agree that I do not think we would have wanted to stay in town, however the location of ESB bungalows was great.

We very much enjoyed Montezuma and ESB. My step daughter has made the comment to me that she would have enjoyed splitting her trip between Montezuma and ST/Mal. Maybe this would be an option for you? You don't mention the time that you have?

Old May 1st, 2005, 07:06 AM

Here is the link to audraf trip report. The last time I suggested someone search for something - it could not and has not been found! Got paranoid, so searched for it myself - maybe this can help.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34587732
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:57 PM

To siempretrvls:
I did not book anything directly through malpais.net. I emailed Luz de Vida directly. And Casa Chameleon we stayed our last night and luckily was available for us-we chose it the day before. I would suggest definitely calling or emailing directly if info available on their websites. We chose Luz de Vida mainly for beach access, surf break, price and a/c.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:36 AM

Turtlemoye,
Thanks for your reply.Do you have the direct website for Casa Chameleon or E-mail address by chance? Thanks in advance for any info on contacting them directly.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:43 AM

I just did a search and I believe this is their direct site...www.hotelcasachameleon.com
The contact info said E-mail casa [email protected]
I'll give that a try but if you have anything different please let me know.
Thanks Again!
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Sorry for the delay - just checked my brochure they gave me on casa chameleon. Yes, website is correct. Email I have on this is [email protected]. Hope this helps.