Search

Mal Pais - Ritmo Tropical?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mal Pais - Ritmo Tropical?

I took a day trip last June to Mal Pais (we were staying in Montezuma) and the town looked kind of dead. Barely anybody in the beaches and didn't see anybody in the restaurants or walking around. I'd like to go back and stay for a few nights next month but I prefer to be somewhere with more people around to socialize with. What is Mal Pais like in August? Will there be more people around?
Also has anybody stayed at Ritmo Tropical? I've heard that their restaurant is good but haven't heard anything about the actual hotel.
Any other suggestions about Mal Pais will be appreciated
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:55 AM

Mal Pais/Santa Teresa in August is quiet and beautiful. Lots of surfers and tourists from Europe and the US. My favourite hotel is Tropico Latino on the beach in Sta Teresa. Great rooms, great restaurant, nice people.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:49 PM

Definitely prefer Ste. Teresa to Malpais--ditto on Tropico Latino, provided you manage to snag the one beachfront cottage (unless more have been added in the 2 years since I've been there. . . )

It is (or was) sort of a quiet place to be, and I HOPE that hasn't changed too much--there are plenty of other places with more people/action!

Have a great time!
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:11 AM

We were at TL in June & stayed in the beachfront bungalow. They still only have 1 & it was great..we could hear the ocean all night.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Montezuma is much more happening as far as people go compared to Mal Pais & St. Teresa. There is virtually no nightlife in this area and its much more spread out than Montezuma.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:45 PM

The Tico Times reported last month that Matthew McConahey (sp?) had spent a few days in both Malpais and Puerto Viejo around the end of June, beginning of July. Apparently he (and friends) were surfing and hung out one evening at Mary's (?--I'm not familiar) in Malpais. Danced with some of the girls who were in the restaurant that night. What a story those girls came home with!

Yes, there's lots more "going on" in Montezuma (but less than the Tamarindo frenzy). Still, some like the quiet and tranquility of Malpais/Ste. Teresa--for a time. 3 nights there were plenty for us. But we stayed occupied during the daytime by going to Montezuma and hiking to the falls and also hiking Cabo Blanco Reserve.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:34 PM

i've been to mary's. its a great restaurant and they do have a pool table there so there were some people hanging around. i wouldn't exactly call it nightlife though.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Is it in Malpais or Ste. Teresa?
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM

can someone tell me how far this is from Tamarindo and how is the driving?
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 01:22 PM

Hi flycatcher06

It's about 6 hours and maybe more depending. In the dry season, you can make your way right up the Pacific coast (rough, but do-able with a 4X4). But in the green season, that route involves rivers with lots of water and is said to be impassable.

If you drive to Paquera, then choose to continue on in your car up along the east side of the peninsula, the road is extremely rough. . .can't imagine a rougher one anywhere in the country (and we've seen some of the worst). I think you're looking at 6 hours this route--at best.

The other alternative is to let the ferry take you across. Won't cost you too much more (and maybe none) in time, but will be a whole lot easier on your nerves and you can rest for an hour and a half while the ferry moves you along! The disadvantage to this route is that you have to coordinate with the ferry times. Be sure and check them a day or two ahead--they tend to shift around a bit. You need to arrive at the ferry landing 30 min-1 hour ahead of time. Good luck!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:02 AM

Shillmac-Mary's is in Mal Pais.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks. I thought it must be, because I don't remember it from 2 years ago. Was it there? We spent nearly all of our time in Santa Teresa--not so much in Malpais. However, I tend to think of them as the same place. . .