Makanda- Villa or Suite

Dec 15th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Makanda- Villa or Suite

I am considering staying at the Makanda in Manuel Antonio.

What is the difference between the Villas and and the studios? The villas are quite a bit more money but is it worth the expense?

Any other scoop on the best restaurants in Manuel Anotonio would be appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance.
Dec 15th, 2003, 06:12 PM

I've only stayed at one of the studios at Makanda. It was a very nice room, refrigerator, king bed, couch, large bedroom. Lots of windows. Wonderful views. I assume the villas are larger. Some are open air, which means no a/c. We were more than satisfied with a studio, just couldn't justify the extra expense. We weren't in the room much anyway.

I personally thought Karola's the best restaurant in the area. Also had good pasta at El Gato Negro.
Dec 16th, 2003, 06:14 AM

I second the vote for Karola's. The Makanda has a very nice, romantic restaurant that we ate at one night for a special occasion. Just wouldn't do it every night as it's more expensive than other places, such as Karola's which is good and has very reasonable prices. There is another restaurant just a block or so from Karola's that is supposed to be excellent as well, but I can't remember the name. It was closed for the season when we were there in September.
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Hello,

The Studios have a kitchenette and the Villas have a full kitchen.

Also, the Villas are located higher up, so they have a better view (although the view from every room is amazing)!

Hope this helps!
Dec 17th, 2003, 12:54 PM

How far is it from Makanda to Manuel A's? Does the hotel have a shuttle or do you need a car? Does anyone know how much it would be by cab? How much to get into the park?
Dec 18th, 2003, 06:05 AM

We walked from Makanda to Manual Antonio. Two days, in fact. But, it's probably a couple of miles. Mostly downhill. Saw a huge troop of squirrel monkeys crossing the road on the way.

Makanda is a ways off the main road, the walk up the hill isn't very long, but it's really steep. Once you get to the 'top', there is good bus service between Manual Antonio and Quepos, at least during the day. Costs less than fifty cents. That's how we got from the park back to the hotel. Or at least back to where the road to the hotel starts.

The first year we were in Manual Antonio we stayed at Si Como No and had a car. It didn't move for our entire stay. Last year at Makanda we didn't have a car, and didn't miss it. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was about $5.00 from Quepos to Makanda.

I can't recall the price of admission to the park, but I am thinking it was around $7.00US.