Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Machu Picchu in August - What type of clothes to pack?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM
pnb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are traveling to Peru (Machu Picchu / Sacred Valley) in late August however, we have no idea what type of clothes we should pack.

I looked at the weather channel and they have the high in the 60'sF and lows of about 32F for Machu Picchu.

Being that we will be primarily staying in the Sacred Valley and doing the 2-day hike to MP, what clothes should we pack? Will it be cold? Hot? What effect does the altitude have on temp? Is it colder up on MP or hotter b/c the sun is "closer"?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:43 PM

See the thread on the Galapagos and MP. I believe I posted quite a bit on it with information on what to wear.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM

Tried to find you a link but failed.

I was in MP last August. During the day, I generally wore a long sleeve t-shirt and khakis/cargo pants and was perfectly comfortable. It was in the high 60s throughout the day. In the morning and late afternoon, I usually added a fleece. As soon as the sun starts to go down, the temp drops dramatically (20 degrees or so). A hat is also a good idea, because the sun is strong during the day. Take a lot of sunscreen.

The first time I went, I wore trail runners during the day. The second time, I wore my Salomon Karma amphibean sneakers. Both worked well, but I liked the Salomons better because they were lighter and cooler.

I also suggest you take a light windbreaker. It rained the day we went to MP and I ended up buying one.

At night, I usually wore jeans, a wool sweater, and an alpaca wrap.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Oh wait, you are doing the hike. Missed that. You'll definitely need hiking boots. And probably warmer clothes as you will be camping.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 02:54 AM

Hi,
I was there in late August and would describe it as more cool, at least a lot cooler than expected.

I took my tevas as well as hiking boots, I think hiking boots are a must, would reccomed gortex lined boots.

I have my favorite thin, reversible Mountain Hardware sweater that I wore/took with me every day. When it seemed too warm for it, the sweater rolled up and fit into my purse, it's great for wind too. It's one of those thin sweaters that are made for mountain climbing. I also took a lot of microfiber tops, they're great. Long sleeve works great, but short sleeves worked just as well, I don't appear to be shivering in any of my photos...

The zip off pants worked well, and truth be told, I ended up in the Sacred Valley a day before we expected to so was wearing a long skirt and tevas. I hiked for miles in my skirt and tevas, and did pretty well, so skirts are ok too.