Loving Mexico City

Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Loving Mexico City

Saturday was Chapultepec Park, my feet hurt! Even using Uber to get there, that is one enormous amazing museum. A few years back I was warned by a friend not to try to do it all in a day. Had an awesome gordita with chicken tinga near the Seville Metro for dinner.

Today Sunday I walked from the Stanza Hotel through a few pocket parks via the Mercado San Juan which has small sections of Italian deli stuff, scorpions attracting foodie tourists, ending at the two major attractions near the zócalo Bellas Artes and Templo Mayor. Both crowded (Bellas Artes free for everyone). Enjoyed the murals as well as the Zapatistas exhibit (the latter more than I had expected). Also same day ticket for Ballet Folklorico. Amazing and the theater is magnificent.

​​​​No concerns walking around after dark although it was only 9pm.

Breakfast was from a few street stands (bírria de res, squash blossom quesadilla, espresso from the market); lunch a croissantwich from Esperanza pastería and guava agua fresca from the "3 caballeros". Dinner was ice cream 😋.

I managed to buy a Metro card. Stanza is right near the Pushkin rapid bus stop..yay!

I may ride the Turisbus tomorrow to rest my feet. There are a few things open that I want to visit.

My food plan is to continue to visit bakeries, popular food stands and markets. Avoiding trip report suggestions from people I don't "know" at this point (after fails for both Puebla and Oaxaca).

The Stanza is clean, plain, and functional. Works for me!

Stained glass curtain at Bellas Artes

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 2nd, 2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 10:34 PM

You are making me want to return to the city, if only for the food! The best tacos we had in the city were from a street stall a couple of blocks from the Stanza towards the subway station. Returned every day for breakfast. I hesitate to recommend a burger place to an American, but Butcher & Sons was very good and a short walk from the Stanza.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 09:39 PM
kja

I don't generally read trip reports until I'm ready to go somewhere, but I love that you are loving Mexico City and know that I will be coming back to this thread when I do, finally, make it there!

Thanks for checking in, mlgb, and best wishes for continued enjoyment!
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. I'm on my departing flight after another excellent half day, made it easily to see the Diego murals at Palacio Nacional, using the Metro and my feet. Today Weds may be a good day for food stalls at Pushkin Park next to the Stanza. I scored a barbacoa + nopales taco..and it was lamb, not beef. Follow the guards/cops for good food..

Delta check in at the airport is confusing. As a result somehow the bag with mole paste made it thru as a second carry-on.

Wonder if I can get a refund for a checked bag...

Uber has been awesome.

More when I'm home.

​​

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 5th, 2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
Thanks to both of you. I'm on my departing flight after another excellent half day, made it easily to see the Diego murals at Palacio Nacional, using the Metro and my feet. Today Weds may be a good day for food stalls at Pushkin Park next to the Stanza. I scored a barbacoa + nopales taco..and it was lamb, not beef. Follow the guards/cops for good food..

Delta check in at the airport is confusing. As a result somehow the bag with mole paste made it thru as a second carry-on.

Wonder if I can get a refund for a checked bag...

Uber has been awesome.

More when I'm home.

​​

You are making me very excited to return to Mexico City! I’ll be doing a very similar trip in Oct/Nov, spending 4 nights in Oaxaca City for Dia de Los Muertos, followed by 2 nights in Puebla, 5 nights for my second visit to Mexico City and 2 nights in Taxco. And thank you for the photo of the beautiful Rivera mural from the Palacios Nacional. I will definitely be returning there to revisit those stunning murals. Safe travels home.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 09:50 PM

Looking forward to subsequent reports!
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your advice, baldone and I'm sure you will have a great trip MinnBeef. It will be easy for me to return and the weather was enjoyable for most of my visit (even in deepest Yucatan). Some impressive thunderclouds my last day and not sure if I was hearing thunder or some type of festive booming around noon when I was near the Zócalo.

I am slowly adjusting to the land of flushable toilet paper, drinkable water and MUCH more expensive Uber trips (like 6x more). Sorting through mail and bills, wondering why there is a heap of downed liquidambar capsules where the curb parking should be, and preparing to deal with laundry, life and photos!

Missing being able to walk down outside and grab some champurrado and pastries, and hop on the Metrobus or Uber for another adventure!

Old Feb 6th, 2020, 09:16 PM

Reality sucks, no? I'll be driving back to the states in a couple weeks and I'll have to get used to stopping for stop signs and not speeding. Plus snow. And ice.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes. Not for too long I hope.

At least I live in "the other Pueblo of Los Angeles" with no ice and snow.