Loved Costa Rica - What's next?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been to Costa Rica on a few occasions and can't wait to go back, but we're looking for someplace else to check out.

We are an early 30's couple looking to get away in the first week of September. We're considering the caribbean, but are unsure about weather - we've discussed St. Bart's, St. John, Aruba, and Curacao. (we've had a recent trip to St. Maarten.)

We've also thought about Playa del Carmen, but the idea of an all inclusive is not appealing.

Ideal getaway is on the beach, plenty of local culture, not too touristy, with good restaurants/bars. I loved the small beach towns in CR, and would like a similar friendly laid-back feel.

Panama? Honduras? Mexico destinations, Others??? I know this is a general question, but we're overwhelmed with possibilities. Ideally we'd like to keep accommodations under $200. Thanks.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 03:43 AM

Playa Del Carmen has literally dozens of small hotels that aren't all inclusive. Several right on the beach that are less than $100.00 per night. The beach in Playa itself isn't as pretty as it is in front of the all inclusives, but it makes for some great people watching. Lots of decent restaurants, and if you get off the main street, relatively inexpensive. That being said, it is still pretty touristy.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Try the Costa Alegre area of southwestern mainland Mexico between Puerto Valarta and Manzanillo. Laid back, undeveloped, and adventuresome. Type Chamela Bay, Tenacatita, La Manzanilla, Melaque, or Barra de Navidad in your browser search engine!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:41 AM

How about Belize?
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:46 AM

If you loved Costa Rica, I bet you'd positively ADORE Ecuador. It's got the same kind of diversity of ecosystems, but with some bonuses -- like the ability to get out to the Galapagos, or the climbing into the Andean highlands... (Personally, I'm partial to those cool pork pie hats that the indigenous women wear ;-)

Ecuador, baby!

Have fun,
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 12:56 PM
peg

Thanks Mark! I was in Costa Rica a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I will be in Ecuador and the Galapapos Islands at the end of September and I cannot wait!