Search

Love in Belize in mid May?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love in Belize in mid May?

<BR>I am planning a surprise engagement trip to Belize in May. Sounds like Ambergris Caye is the place to go to experience all Belize has to offer in a short trip (4-5 days). Right? What will the weather be like in mid May? And can you suggest an affordable and memorable place to stay?<BR><BR>Regards
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:10 PM

Wrong, but you can still experience a small portion of Belize with 5 days on Ambergris. The island is less than a mile from the worlds second largest barrier reeef for exquisite diving, snorkeling, fishing, sailing, kayaking and more. You could also arrange a day trip to the mainland to visit ruins, go caving, see the Zoo, go horseback riding, etc. You'll be able to get a small glimpse into what we have to offer. May is one of our hotter months, but cooled down by tradwind sea breezes. What do you consider affordable? Some hotels drop to low season rates after Easter, some in May and so on. What dates are you planning to visit?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you KatieValk, I appreciate your feedback. I know, 4-5 days isn't nearly enough to truly experience Belize. But at least we can get a good taste, then plan a longer trip later. <BR><BR>I am planning the trip for May 17 - May 22, or around that week. Hot is fine, we love it! We will definately want to visit Mayan ruins, and enjoy water activities/sites. I consider affordable around $75 - $100/night and like more of a local experience verses a bigger touristy hotel. <BR><BR>Considering the short length of our stay, I think we should find one area/place to stay which would be somewhat central to the activities we would like to experience. Is there a different area you might suggest?<BR><BR>Regards!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:53 AM

Jumping in ... Katie knows Belize much better than I, but I would say that if you want a beach experience for those 4 or 5 days then Ambergris Caye (or Caye Caulker if you want a larger selection of budget hotels would be the way to go.) If on the other hand you want more of an outdoor hiking/rivering/Maya ruin kind of experience you'd want to base in Cayo.<BR><BR>There are very few large hotels in Belize, and most of those are in Belize City. Most hotels in Belize are small owner managed personality places.<BR><BR>On Ambergris in your price range I'd suggest: Corona del Mar, The Tides, Banana Beach, Belizean Shores, Coconuts, Mata Rocks or Mayan Princess. In Cayo, the safari camp at Chaa Creek, Green Heaven or Pook's Hill, among others. But it definitely will be HOT in Cayo in May, and you won't have the prevailing seabreezes to cool you off.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Hi - I wanted to jump in here as we are planning a very similar trip, but plan to spend 5 nights in Cayo and 4 nights on Ambergris. When you say HOT in Cayo - how hot is it usually? and is it very humid? We still want to spend a good amount of time in the Cayo district, but now I'm thinking we should stay longer in Ambergris.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Sara
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Hot means 90 degrees +, occasionally reaching 100. Humidity varies but will generally be high -- 70-80%.<BR><BR>The Mountain Pine Ridge, at altitudes up to 3000 feet, will be cooler.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Hi Lan,<BR><BR>Thanks so much for all of your helpful information. After reading over past posts, it sounds like Blancaneaux Lodge might be the best option in the Mountain Pine Ridge. But I also read about the beetle problem they had. I know Blancaneaux Lodge did a lot of attractive landscaping to make it less noticeable, but does that mean that the rest of the area is unattractive? Also, what about the hike to the nearby pools and waterfalls - is that no longer very attractive without the trees? And finally, if we decided to stay outside of the Mountain Ridge - looking at Chaa Creek - does the temperature cool down considerably at night or is it still very hot?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Sara
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:52 PM

The Mountain Pine Ridge is still very much worth visiting, despite the death of trees due to the Southern Pine Beetle. That's certainly true of Blancaneaux. It's only the Mountain Pine, a tree similar to the Caribbean Pine, that was affected. There are lots of other kinds of trees in that area, and despite the name there is broadleaf jungle, too. <BR><BR>It does cool off some at night, but this time of year it's still fairly warm.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder