Los Cabos in February - advice please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we (family of 4 - kids in 20's) are thinking of adding 4 nights in Los cabos during a visit to the US from Italy. Is February a good time to visit? Are all the activities like fishing, snorkeling etc on offer at that time of year? Is it warm enough to swim?
Also would it be a good idea to spend 2 nights in San lucas and 2 in San José? We aren't really into posh resorts but prefer smaller characterful places, good food and atmosphere. Any suggestions on hotels B&Bs?
Thanks!
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes February is a good time to visit.
Yes there are activities like fishing, snorkeling.
Yes it is warm enough to swim.

Personally with only 4 days, I'd probably pick just one place to stay. I like the downtown area of Cabo San Lucas myself (Medano Beach has lots of nice hotels).

Los Milagros is a B&B downtown. Or The Bungalows.

There are also lots of larger resorts out along "the Corridor", the oceanfront stretching between the two towns.
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you I will check out the suggestions. I seem to be getting mixed views about Los Cabos from the US forum so it's good to know at least the weather should not be a problem.
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Plus February is prime whale watching season. Agree with Suze and spend the 4 nights in one place: with your 20 year olds, stay in Cabo San Lucas.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM

If you'd like more information about Los Cabos, rather than the US forum here on Fodor's, go on over to Trip Advisor. There is a fabulous and very active Cabo San Lucas forum there. Real friendly and helpful group of posters. Lots of people who either live in or regularly visit Cabo. My first (and only so far) trip they completely helped me plan things. And everything went very smoothly.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze, I'll check it out.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM

carrom: I have been looking at your other thread on the US board. 4 days in Cabo, plus all your other travel would be too hectic for me. Perhaps cut out Houston or NYC and spend a week in Cabo. We love both San Jose area and Cabo San Lucas for different reasons. With your kids, they would LOVE Cabo San Lucas for the nightlife, plus tons of resaurants. Medano Beach, the main beach in CSL is swimmable and offer lots of water sport activities.

Click on my name and check out my old trip reports/info on Los Cabos. We are headed down there again the first week of December.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 02:07 PM

We have been to Cabo in October, November, February and March. Feb. & March have been the most pleasant. Not too hot & humid.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi Michelle, I couldn't find your trip report for Los Cabos but thanks for your comments. I think we will stay in San Josè as it seems more our kind of place than San Lucas. Palapas resort gets good reviews on Tripadvisor but is actually in Puerto Los Cabos. Know anything about it? We don't want to stay in a huge resort and I like the idea that if we go fishing we can barbecue our catch. We will rent a car so the drive into San Lucas for some action shouldn't be a problem. If we decide to go we will take your advice and extend our stay to at least 5 days. Thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 08:36 AM

carrom: I think Puerto would be outside of San Jose by the new marina. I don't know much about that are except there has been lots of contruction due to the new marina.

Do check the forum on Los Cabos on Tripadvisor. It is a very active forum and many more of your question will be answered. The reason I suggested CSL is because it offers more nightlife for your kids plus Medano beach is one of the few swimmable beaches. Many beaches have bad undertow and riptides.

I will try to pull up the links to the Cabo info I posted in the past.

We are also in the "wine" industry and grow winegrapes for about 15 different wineries.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Here is some info I posted:

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...s-a-report.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...-some-help.cfm

Here is a trip report from someone else last year:

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...ember-2010.cfm

I know Cabo get slammed, but for us here in N. Cal, it is a fairly short air trip and a nice break from the winter blues.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM

"I know Cabo get slammed"

I know what you mean, Michelle. It was always on my list of places I never, ever wanted to go. It did not interest me one bit. And then I went (a work-realted trip), and I wondered why I waited so long to go.

I'm a fan of San Jose del Cabo. It has much more the feel of a real Mexican town, and that's where I prefer to stay. But thinking back to when I was in my 20s, Cabo San Lucas would have been the ticket. It's a lot flashier. If you'll have a car, you can get around to either easily.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Our kids (and us) are more the sipping Margaritas eating organic nachos on a hammock types....so I think San José fits the bill.
I will get to work on the trip reports. Thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 08:52 AM

But Cabo does not have to be "flashy". Depends where you go, where you stay, what you see and do. I stayed at www.mardecortez.com downtown, a regular local-style Mexican hotel in the downtown area. I didn't have a car and just hung around town and Medano Beach, doing similar things to what I'd do if I were in Puerto Vallarta.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 04:27 PM

I hav been going to Los Cabos for 23 years and have now owned a home there for 10.. You will much prefer San Jose to Cabo.. rent a car and check out some of the secluded beaches on the East Cape only 4-5 miles outside San Jose w/ amazing remote feel. Check out lunch at Buzzard's at La Laguna. Take a day trip to Todos Santos and dine at Hotel Santa Fe and at least have drink at the (hhmm) famous Hotel California. I imagine it so as I still love the Eagles..

Cabo one nite or two for bar-hopping, great dining a Mi Casa...

Southern Baja has the most idyllic wilderness feel to it once u get off the city streets into the desert, the unpopulated beaches or the mountains
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Dear Doctor: YUM, all my favorite places to eat!!
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. We are going to try and book the pool cottage at El Encanto in downtown SJ. We will have a car. Any thoughts on this accommodation?
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 09:26 AM

We stayed there for one night before our flight out the next day. Pool cottage is the way to go. We stayed in their other units across the street, which were fine for a night, but no view and a bit dark. The pool units are much nicer and .... next to the pool!! If I stayed here again, I would go for a poolside room.