Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Looking for nice AI on swimable beach in Cabo.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want a nice place in Cabo where we can turn off our brains and just relax. Looking for an All-Inclusive with decent food but most importantly, a nice beach and pool area. A basketball court would be nice. Any ideas?
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pueblo Bonito Rose and Blanco have an AI option, as does Villa del Palmar.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:14 PM

These are on the best swimmable beach, Medano Beach.
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I will check those out. Have you stayed in any of those?
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't stayed on Medano Beach, but it's definitely the only swimmable beach in/close to downtown Cabo. The 2 already mentioned are the closest/nicest AI's, the other option is the 2 RIU properties.

But for Cabo my first recommendation would be to consider not going all-inclusive. There are all kinds of great bars and restaurants, and AI's aren't really 'the thing' there are much as in other spots (like Cancun). It would give you a lot more options to choose from.
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Stayed at Pueblo Bonito and love it. Not sure if RIU is swimmable, but check. Agree with Suze to not do AI since you are so close to great restaurants and fun.
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:16 AM

No, I'm not sure that it is (swimmable at RIU), sorry I only meant RIU is an AI that is close enough you can walk over to Medano Beach (~15 mins or so along the sand).
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
KVR

We are looking at the Marina Fiesta Resort for next April. It's not on a beach, but I understand there is one within close proximaty. They do offer an AI plan, which includes 5 off-property restuarants around the marina.

http://www.marinafiestaresort.com/

The resort is within walking distance to many of the main resturants and bars. I found a beach hopping tour that we are considering since we don't need to be right on the beach.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 10:27 AM

KVR, from the Marina it's a short walk to Medano Beach (maybe 10 mins. going along the sidewalks) which is the main and swimmable beach in Cabo. Also there are water taxis that run between them.

If you let me know the 5 off-property restaurants, I'm happy to tell you if I happen to have tried any of them.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:08 AM
KVR

That's good to know about the beach. What's funny is we are really not lay on the beach type people. We are more sit at the swim-up pool bar people. Do you know if the pools will be cold in November like they are in Playa del Carmen? When we went to PV in a December, the hotel we stayed at had a heated pool.

The restaurants that are included are: Baja Lobster Co, Los Deseos, Presto, Imomo, Jack's Bar and Grill, Sandwich Factory, Tequila Museum & Cantina and Fish'n Chips Cabo.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:39 AM

KVR - Marina Fiesta is what the name implies, at the Marina. You will not have the nice views out on to the ocean. This would not be my choice of area to stay in, but may be fine for what you are looking for. I would choose some place on Medano Beach, which is still close enough to walk to restaurants and shopping. As far as AI, you are right in the thick of things and have lots of dining choices. Have never heard of any of these places.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the restaurant list (but sorry I also haven't heard of any of them). Also don't know about the pool.

You don't have to "lay on the beach" at Medano, it's lined with cute beach bars where you can sit under an umbrella and have food/drinks served (similar to Playa Los Muertos is PV).
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 01:20 PM
KVR

That's good to know about the Medano beach. We were looking at Barbados in Nov., but looks like we'll have to wait until we can gain some more funds for that trip. Really expensive.

MichelleY, yes that is what we are looking for. My only real issue is the pool being to cool to use that time of year.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM
KVR

I asked about the pool on TA and was advised that their main pool is heated. Yea! Looks like we're all set then.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM

Hi
Costa Rica's Montezuma Beach, on the southern base of the Nicoya Peninsula, is the favorite Costa Rica beach for travelers of the bohemian persuasion.f you want learn more then you.
Visit:http://www.beachcomberpete.com/central_america/
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM

Cabo's beautiful, but not the place I'd go for swimming. I'd do Puerto Vallarta first.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:58 AM

I do not recommend the AI option at the VDP. While the resort is fine and the beach is swimmable, the AI option is misleading. When you are issued your bracelet, you are also issued a list of items that are NOT included the AI program, such as certain cuts of meat at the restaurants, and top shelf liquor.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 12:59 PM
KVR

Most general AI's do not include lobster, certain cuts of meat or top shelf liquor. If someone is looking for that, they need to go to a premium AI like a Sandals or some of the lux resorts in the Riveria Maya area of the Caribbean side of Mexico.

It's always a good habit when considering an AI hotel to look up their web-site and see exactly what their AI options includes and doesn't includes.
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Just got back from Cabo. Stayed at the RIU Palace and LOVED it!! Fantastic food and the pools were marvelous. The beach isn't swimmable unless you are a very strong swimmer, but Medano was just a short walk away. We took a water taxi out to "Lovers Beach" and that was very nice and swimmable. Wish I had taken my camera because it was SO beautiful out there!
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Glad you had a nice trip! Please write a trip report if you get the chance.