Any advice on a place to stay in Los Cabos for a family of 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have plane tickets for Cabo for 4 nights in August. I thought it would be easy finding a place to stay but its proving challenging( budget around $400 a night) Although we’ve traveled a lot in Mexico, we’ve never been to Cabos before. I currently have a cancellable reservation at the Hilton, and although it gets good reviews we’re not usually big resort people, so I'm still looking. Was also checking out The Bungalows bed and breakfast in CSL which looks really cute and is very reasonable, but ideally would love a place with a view. We love to swim in the ocean (not so much the pool, although we enjoy a dip on a hot day) and we will have a car since we would like to explore the area. By the way, we are not all inclusive people as we love walking around town and dining out. I should also note that I spent a lot of time on VRBO, but nothing really stood out to me. A lot of very large condos. If there is a condo/villa that someone recommends in particular knowing our needs, that might be really helpful. Thanks so much in advance for any input!
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only swimmable and safe beach is Medano. Check out Las Cascadas, Pueblo Bonito Rose or Blanco/ Los Cabos, Cabo Villas, Casa Dorada. The PB properties are AI optional. We have stayed and never do AI as there are lots of great restaurants in town.
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 09:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As above, if you want a swimmable beach you want to stay on or near Medano Beach.

The Bungalows gets good comments. I stayed at Mar de Cortez and loved it, but it's a budget basic Mexican place downtown (about 10-15 mins. walk to the beach, no view).
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Mexico City, Mexico

Save this Post

3. Re: Advice for where to stay for family of 4 adults in los cabos

Jul 30, 2015, 5:08 PM

Thanks so much. I checked PB and unfortunately they don't have any 2 bedroom units. My kids are grown and need their own beds. Will check out the others too. I'm a little afraid though that Medano beach might be too built up for us. But I also need a beach that's swimmable so I don't have to spend my 4 days worrying about my kids....who have no fear I might add!! So its going to be a tough choice. Are the beaches in San Jose del Cabo swimmable too? Found a beautiful house in Costa Azul section too but I'm just too worried about the surf. Has anyone stayed at the Hilton recently? Another option is to keep my reservation there.....they say its another swimmable beach.
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 01:31 PM

Everyone has different perspectives I guess, but Medano Beach is a pretty small area (have you seen photos?). I personally would not call it "built up" really.

Because I like to be able to walk around a downtown area, I personally wouldn't stay out on "the Corridor" myself.
Old Jul 31st, 2015, 12:16 PM

Check VRBO for PB Blanco, Rose or Las Cascadas. Also check Villa del Palmar and their properties. A little ways down the beach.

Playa Azul is a surfer area. More expert swimmers for for sure.
Old Aug 1st, 2015, 06:43 AM

Bookmarking
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. I finally decided on the bungalow hotel. Will miss the views and being on the sea, but with the great reviews it gets and the reasonable price I decided to give it a try this time. We will also have a rental car so planning to spend time checking out different beaches in the area. Promise to report back after our stay.
All the best to everyone!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 12:59 PM

I *really* had a great time staying in downtown Cabo. Be sure to go exploring on the inland side of the main boulevard thru town. It's a regular Mexican town going on there, that few tourists seems to ever get to.

Need any restaurant recommendations?
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze! So nice of you to ask.....I would absolutely love some restaurant recommendations!
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 09:55 PM

Here is a link to Trapper's List of dining choices in Cabo. We like Mi Casa $$, Las Golondrinas $$$. Lots of nice and fun places at all price points.

http://trapperscabolist.com/list.html

For beach bars, The Office and Mango Deck are popular. More low key and less expensive is Tabascos, down by Las Cascadas on the beach.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 09:19 AM

http://www.misionesdekino.com/
was my very most favorite restaurant. it's downtown tucked on a side street near Mar de Cortez hotel. Little hidden gem.

Do not miss Gordo Lele's at least once:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gordo...39586902765041

Maro Shrimp House on Calle M. Hidalgo in Centro

Mama's Royal Café also Calle M. Hildalgo (breakfast)

I liked The Office on Medano but for breakfast more than later in the day (quite a bit pricier than the downtown places being beachfront and all)

And as above, Trapper's List rules

The one place I read about & walked by but never made it to that looked very good for authentic seafood was Mariscos Las Tres Islas, address Revolucion de 1910 in the central part of the downtown area.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Wow wow wow, thank you Suze and Michelle. Im taking notes to bring along! We're only there for 4 days, and our breakfasts are included in the hotel, but Im going to try to get to as many of these as possible....even if it means more than 3 meals a day
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 10:09 AM

You're most welcome. I've only been to Cabo once (I usually go to PV) but with the help of the good folks on the Trip Advisor Cabo forum, a hotel recommendation from this branch of Fodor's that started it all, I had a fantastic week there.

Mostly just wandered around the downtown area, spent time at Medano Beach.

You might not think so but the Paraiso Mall between the Marina and the beach is actually very nice to walk thru. I found some interesting stores there, not only the usual tourist stuff (also public bathrooms!)

Misiones de Kino is a very nice restaurant with a varied menu in a mostly outdoor courtyard setting.

Gordo Lele's is a crazy little taco and tortas shop where the owner just might sing you a Beatles song.

Maro is extremely casual (folding tables, metal chairs, plastic dishware) where you can get shrimp by the pound.

Mama's Royal (mornings) turns into Felix's (evenings) for Mexican food.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 01:16 PM

I was in Cabo in December and go just about every other year. We stay a PB Sunset Beach, so I have driven by the bungalows many times. Looks like a cool place and nice that breakfast is included. With a car, the easiest parking is at the Paraiso Mall Parking garage. There is also a small garage off of Hidalgo and other pay lots around.

Going down to Cabo again in November but staying near San Jose. I am sure we will do a few trips to CSL for lunch or dinner. I love the carnitas at Mi Casa and their giant Maragritas!
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

I'm psyched! My only problem now is 4 days is not nearly enough. For the record, although Im from NY, we live in Mexico City. My kids are studying in the U.S. now and coming for vacation. They miss tacos and Mexican food so much. They will be in heaven!
Suze, we went last year to the PV area and stayed in Bucerias and traveled around to different beaches. We really liked San Pancho and are going back this winter. Have you visited on any of your trips to PV?
Michelle, PB sunset would have been my first choice had there been 2 bedrooms. I'm glad though that the bungalows looked nice. I hope having a car won't be a hassle though. The hotel had mentioned that there was parking right in front.
I originally thought of renting a car to possible check out the other swimmable beaches in the area, like Santa Maria and Chilleno beach, but we might be trying to do too much in only 4 days!! I also would love to visit San Jose del Cabo to know for another trip if we would like to stay there.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 09:47 PM

We stay at Sunset Beach, but the ocean is not swimmable. Blanco and Rose have the swimmable beach. I find it weird they wouldn't have a two bedroom .
Please report back on the Bungalows. Chileano or Santa Maria are great for snorkeling, so make a morning of it.
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 07:50 AM

hola lasagna, No I haven't spent time in any of the smaller towns around the Bay. Only because I love Puerto Vallarta so darn much I can easily fill my time with things right in the city (25 trips and counting!).
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Wow Suze, 25 times in PV. That must be a record! Where do you stay? If you can get away for 1 day on your next trip, its worth going to San Pancho. Sleepy beach town with a gorgeous beach and wonderful little places to eat.

Michelle, I thought it was strange too that PB didn't have 2 bedrooms. Now Im realizing I only checked Blanco and Rose.
Promise to report back on the bungalows.

Have a long list of restaurants now. With musts of Misiones de Kino's and Gordo Lele's and hopefully we'll make it to many of the others.

Another question: are there places on Medano Beach or around to kind of stay away from? Don't want to wander on any spring break type parties. I just thought of it cause I stumbled upon a post about a beach restaurant that might not be so family friendly.
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 02:36 PM

Nah, not a record. Lots of people go to PV every year, over and over again.

I have always stayed in Old Town ("Zona Romantica") near the beach. I have one favorite budget hotel, but over the years have also stayed at B&Bs, other cheap hotels, rented various apartments, and the most recent 4 trips started renting in a couple different local condo buildings for about the same price ($50-65/night). All within about a 6-8 block neighborhood that I love the best.

Medano Beach is very easy to figure out. It's not that long of a stretch. You'll see some bars that are clearly spring break types, impossible to miss (a DJ on a mike leading a tequila shot or wet t-shirt contest for example!). But then others next door that are low-key, with nice beach furniture set up, quiet music, etc. Sorry don't remember names (if I ever knew them).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -