Looking for any advice on Belize.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I were supposed to go to the USVI this summer but that may fall through. A friend suggested Belize. I'm looking for any information on where to stay, things to do, places to see... We're in our thirties, don't drink and aren't looking for a nightlife so to speak. We're looking for a relaxing vacation where we can hike and swim and just enjoy each others' company without worrying about pesky cell phones and such. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Amy
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention we plan to stay wherever we end up over July 4th. We've seen this is the rainy season but keep reading that most of the rainfall is at night. Is this true?
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Yes, the rain is apt to fall mainly at night - we've visited twice in July/August and had a blast. Many visitors split their time between the Cayo district for caving, canoing, hiking, and ruins and some blue water time, often on either Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. If you let us know your general budget and length of stay we can help you more.

You might also consider Roatán, Honduras - you'd have hiking and great beaches within minutes of each other and you'd have great snorkeling from shore, not available on Caulker or Ambergris. Also, the rainy season doesn't typically start on the north of Honduras until fall.

My photos are at the link below and there are blog/travelogue links on the main page of each collection. Happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much hopefulist!!! I do believe you posted great info for me on St John on another board. I'm looking into this one because the other just may not happen this summer. Staying hopeful but looking into other places in case it doesn't work out And Belize looks amazing!!! Your input is greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

And I apologize if I have you confused with someone else hopefulist.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM

Do you snorkel? Ambergris Caye was great - snorkeling may have been better than the diving. Very mellow island, golf carts (very few cars), no loud clubs or U.S. chains, so relaxing....

We stayed at Caye Casa in a beachfront casita and it was great... Boxer on-site takes guests out on the sailboat which was absolutely amazing and inexpensive.

http://www.cayecasa.com/accommodations.html
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 05:19 AM

I don't recall going to St. John so it must have been another me. Let me know if I can help with any of the places I've been, though!
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks fishee!!! We haven't been snorkeling but that is one of the things we're really looking forward to doing!!!

hopefulish, must have been another I had a friend email today and suggest Honduras for the same reasons as you so that is telling me something right there. I hear about it twice within 24 hrs has to be a good thing! We plan to travel at least 7 days, a day to get there, 5 for fun and a day home. We do have some flexibility though. As far as budgets go, from everything we've looked into so far we would be spending a few thousand dollars, again with some flexibility. We'll definitely pay for the trip that we want but want to save money every chance we get Any and all your info is greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM

There are lots of good mid priced lodging options and lots of rentals on Roatán. Some friends have a nice, new condo in West End that is rented for about $1000/week; if you're interested let me know.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 11:03 AM

I thought I'd have to find it on my computer at home but it was easy to find by googling:
http://www.roatanlifevacationrentals...8ad9724c8bae98
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM

You may want to try Thatch Caye Resort for your vacation. They have the best snorkeling I have ever seen in their area and one of their owners was raised in the Virgin Islands and moved to Belize to do Thatch Caye Resort. It is a very beautiful spot filled with marine life and close to the mainland for inland adventure as well.