Long weekend recommendation

Dec 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Long weekend recommendation

My husband and I would like to go somewhere warm in February. We are interested in a nice, relaxing, lazy 3 or 4 days on a beach in Mexico. While we are thinking all-inclusive, we are open to any suggestion...does anyone have a recommendation for us? Thanks!
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Being an Iowa Hawkeye fan myself, I'm wondering if you're flying from Iowa??

If so, I'd look at the Yucatan peninsula, rather than the Pacific coast of Mexico. Closer and cheaper.

If you're flying from a major city, you might be able to do ok money wise with an all-inclusive package with Apple or FunJet. I'd have to drive to Chicago to connect, or pay several hundred extra dollars to fly there, so I just buy my plane tickets and find a small hotel on the beach.

I've been to Cancun once, just not my kind of place. Too much concrete, not enough tropical 'feel'. I like Playa del Carmen, I was just through there a couple months ago and spent the night. Several nice new hotels on the beach since last I was there. I don't recall the names though.

For an even more laid back purely beach destination, you could look at the cabanas in Tulum. Lots of options, but not for everyone. Many don't have electricity most of the day, just a few hours at night. But, the beach and water are stunning.

I also like Isla Mujeres, small island off the coast of Cancun. I haven't been there in about three years, heading back in Janaury. One of those love it or hate it type places it seems. The poverty bothers some people. Others are uncomfortable being in the middle of a 'real' (although touristy) Mexican town. It sounds like there is a huge amount of construction going on, may be my last trip, sounds like it may be getting too busy.

There's aslo Cozumel, I know very little about the island, I've only spent a few hours there.
Dec 27th, 2006, 01:00 PM

We just returned from a long weekend in Cancun. I do prefere PDC but it takes just a little longer to get there. We stayed at the Barcelo Costa and got a great deal through Spirit. Went to Isla Mujeres for the day and loved it. Have fun.
Dec 27th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Puerto Vallarta
Dec 28th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions! Yes, we are from Iowa City and are planning on flying from Cedar Rapids (although we might drive to Chicago)- thanks, JeanH, for your suggestions considering flight time/price Go Hawkeyes!!
Dec 30th, 2006, 08:14 AM

I work in Iowa City as well (live in North Liberty). If you are interested, e-mail me, and I'll send pictures of Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres. Our trip to Cancun predates our digital camera. Jean [email protected]
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Hi Hawkeye,

I found B & B for 2 nights (February 23rd & 24th) on Isla Mujeres at a great B&B and a small inn on the beach at Tankah Bay (just outside Tulum) for the 22nd, but now I can't go. If interested, let me know.