1st time in Cancun

Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:03 PM
Gav
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time in Cancun

I will be visiting Cancun in mid June for 2 weeks with a couple of my friends and will be staying at Tucancun Beach. We are all young guys in our twenties and have never been to Mexico before. Having read a few mixed reviews of the place we are unsure about what to expect. So what are the definite dos' and donts when in Cancun.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Gav, Glasgow, Scotland
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Anything you want is available.
Hopefully your parent equipped you with good judgement and morals.
By the way--Mexican jails are no fun.
Use common sense.
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Gav
Original Poster

Cheers for that dmot.

Sounds like the voice of experience speaking.

We are are well adjusted young men.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cancun is pretty mainstream tourist, mostly hotels/resorts and a beautiful beach. But you can take day trips to Isla Mujeres (island nearby) and along the coast (to Playa del Carmen) and I'm not certain which directions but there're interesting ruins nearby to visit. I've spent alot of time vacationing in Mexico and have yet to know anyone thrown in jail ;-)

Since you're coming such a long way, I'd continue to ask your questions (also check out Lonely Planet's BB called The Thorn Tree) and get a guidebook or two.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Gav
Original Poster

Thanks Suze,
Thats more like the kind of thing i was looking for.

Looking for tips on my travel money, Should i bring Dollars,Pesos, Both??
Travellers cheques, cash?? You guys will know better than me. Also, is it wise to get any vaccinations before heading over there?
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM

I am in Mexico once a month and always use pesos. I do it for do reasons, it is the local currency and you it will almost always be to your advantage cost wise to use the peso. Of course, the merchants will accept dollars because they will always find a way to make money on the transaction.
If you can, you will get the best rate by using an ATM machine to obtain your cash. Otherwise, exchange at a bank--never at a hotel.
Hope this helps!
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Gav
Original Poster

Thanks all, just one more thing. What kind of weather can i expect from mid june? I have read this is the start of the rainy season. Does this mean it will be wet all the time? I am used to this in Glasgow and wanted to find some sunshine to give my white scottish skin some colour.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Here some statitics
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...567&refer=

For June:
Average temperature 84?F/32?C, Average High Temperature 89?F/ 29?C, Average Number of Days With Precipitation 6

With weather issues, just cross your fingers! But I think you will have the chance to take a lot of sun.. it's very hot in June, and you can move looking for the sun, sometimes when it's raining in some areas of the hotel zone, some beaches, downtown cancun or the ruins have plenty sun..

Enjoy your vacations..
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always use peso when in Mexico, and get them directly from an ATM. I don't think you'd want to go thru US dollars to peso, just one extra conversion to pay for. If you take travelers checks you'll most likely need to cash them at a bank (not a shop or restaurant).

I don't think you need vaccinations unless you plan to spend time in the jungle, but I'd ask a doctor -not us- if you're worried!

I'm not sure if your original post mean "mixed reviews" about your hotel, or Cancun or about travel in Mexico in general.

Oh yes... you take a ferry to get out to Isla Mujeres and can bus (or maybe collectivo vans?) to travel along the coast.

I'm no Cancun expert, but I love Mexico and hope you have a great trip. Buena suerte!!