Long layover in Lima

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long layover in Lima

After visiting Cusco/MP, our flight to Lima arrives mid-morn and our flight back to US doesn't depart til around midnight. We would like to visit some sights in Lima that day, but from earlier postings am concerned about safety of getting cab from airport into Lima and also what to do w/ our luggage during the day. Appreciate suggestions.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:44 PM

Lima is a crappy city. They have luggage storage near the domestic arrivals hall. My husband and I took a taxi into the center, walked around the main square, and then took another taxi to Miraflores for lunch. We walked around Miraflores until 5pm, and then headed back to the airport since there wasn't too much to do.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:09 PM

I don't think that you can state that Lima is a "crappy" city after only a couple of hours there. There are many things to do in Lima. You can take a cab to the city and go the "Museo de Oro" and after that you could go to diner to one of their best restaurants "Costa Verde" (good and pricey). Or you could take a guided tour of the "old city" and its wonderful churches and then go to diner to a more "typical" restaurant, such as "Manos Morenas" (I believe it is located in the district of Barranco, which is very quaint. If this is your first time in Lima, I would definitely recommend a guided tour.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 01:24 PM

Lima is very lively and fully of energy! During my layover like yours I took the Urbino bus $8 each way to Miraflores. You can buy the ticket at the arrival counter. The taxi drivers are very aggressvive at the airport, just ignore them.

There are many shanty towns from the airport to Miraflores and Centro. I'm a tourist. I just have to look and then go home, Limanos have to live there.

Miraflores is like any US city, but the food and shopping are cheap and good.

Do visit Lima so you would appreciate what we've got in the US.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 02:53 PM

Here are some ideas... not sure of your interests, so you can choose:

Museo Rafael Larco Herrera. (This is the phenomenal ceramics museum in Lima...)

La Museo de la Nacion - archeaology and anthropology.

San Francisco Monastery in Lima... an early colonial church with baroque choir, a library full of illuminated manuscripts and of course, the catacombs! The story goes that years ago ladies who were cleaning the church and maintaining the altar discovered the catacombs and found jewelry buried with the bodies. The cleaning people started purchasing items beyond what would be normal for their salary. By the time the priest caught on to what was happening, the bones were scattered. So now, they are all organized by type of bone... femurs, skulls, etc. It's estimated that 70,000 people were buried in the catacombs... that's a lot of bones! Terrific Sevillian-style tiles and Spanish statuary.

La Rosa Nautica in Lima. (restaurant on the Pacific coast... pricy)

Lover's Park in Lima. Gaudi-like mosaics. Neat to drive by if you are close to it.

Olive Trees in Lima planted in the 16th Century. Again, a drive-by)

Lima's Cathedral with exquisite, wooden carved statuary that is beautifully painted or painted and clothed.

You will realize that Lima is colorful because of all the beautiful plantings, colorful native dress and brightly painted buildings. Gray skies, yes; gray city, no.

I would not hang out at the airport all that time. You will find something to do.

- Sharon
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Hi--just got back from 2 weeks in Peru. We had less than 24 hours in Lima and enjoyed our short stay. Food is excellent there and you can catch up on some shopping. There are some good museums. A lot of Lima isn't pretty, but there are some nice gardens. We left our camera, passports, tickets, credit cards in the hotel safe and took enough cash for the museums, taxis and lunch to downtown Lima. You can get a city tour if that makes you more comfortable. We ate at the French nun's restaurant on Uyali which was good (not great) but the profiteroles were yummy and it was very close to the Plaza de Armas and Cathedral. At that time, there were 4 demonstrations in downtown Lima so the Plaza de Armas was completely empty of everyone except tourists. It was very strange. The police wanted us to show our passports, but, we explained that we had left them in the hotel safe and showed our guidebook and they let us in. In retrospect, it would have been good to have a photocopy of our passports with us. After seeing the Cathedral (you can easily book a guide right there), we caught a taxi and went to the Museo Rafael Larco Herrera. Hubbie was not interested in seeing the catacombs so skipped San Francisco which would have been easy to fit in. The Museo Rafael Larco is fabulous--a plus were the hummingbirds in the courtyard. You can easily book a guide there. By the way, there are also some high end shops.We then caught another taxi to our hotel (Hotel Farona), sat in the plaza in Miraflores to peoplewatch and ate dinner at Astrid and Gaston. Hubbie had tuna tartare and potato appetizer, cuy (guinea pig), and homemade sorbets. Said was his best meal in a long time. I had homemade goat cheese ravioli with tomatoes which were delicious, with a Peruvian dessert sampler for dessert. Their take on rice pudding was out of this world--very unusual but yummy. Personally, I like the original style of alfajores. So--plan a couple of nice meals, go to museums and churches, do some shopping--should be a nice day. You could consider getting a day room to take a nap, shower, etc.