Search

Lima Layover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lima Layover

Hello again. Quick question:

We have a 12 1/2 layover in Lima before our flight back home. Scheduled to arrive in Lima from Puerto Maldonado (hopefully) at 13:15 and then leave for home at 1:40AM the following morning. Is this enough time to see the Miraflores area? Is it convenient just to take a taxi from the airport to that area? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM

It took us 45mins to get from the airport into Miraflores at midnight, so yes, you will have time for a flying visit. However, Lima itself is not a great place to visit (probably my least favourite capital city in the world!). Be careful getting a taxi outside of teh airport as there are lots of dodgy taxi drivers around and I would try and get back to the airport whilst it is still light.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM

Hired a nice taxi $30/hr did the
city lots of amazing churches especially San Francisco pretty night parks with laser fountain displays and Miraflores for me is also very nice.Lots of great restaurants shopping by the magnificent Mariott in the
LarcoMar area right on the Pacific
VERY nice mall...

I think folks who do not like LIMA

just go to the wrong areas...

Even the Grand Bolivar downtown
where I stayed was very safe
nd in the heart of everything...
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM

I think Lima can be a bit of a culture shock. The exit from the airport into the taxi chaos, plus Callao isn't the greatest first impression.

I would allow 4 hours for your return. One hour for transportation, and 3 hours for an international checkin. There are certified taxis, or you could prearrange a pickup and tour.

So you do have lots of time to see Lima. I liked Lima, but then I live in Los Angeles.

The historic center (Plaza Mayor aka Plaza de Armas) is beautiful (it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site). The surrounding area is completely safe and full of other tourists. If you're nervous about being at street level, I recommend taking the Mirabus doubledecker bus tour, which leaves from the Plaza de Armas near the City Hall. Sit on the top deck, it's especially wonderful after dark. You should also see the Museo Larco, assuming you're not "museumed out". http://www.museolarco.org/iindex.htm

Personally, I don't understand the fascination with Miraflores, it reminded me of Santa Monica, California, too many highrises and not much character. Larcomar Mall has branches of N.American chains like Tony Roma's, Hooters and Starbucks. It also has branches of some high-end souvenier stores (but then there are also branches at the Lima airport). Even the gelateria at Larcomar Mall was not as good as the one at the Lima Airport.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. How do you know if the taxi is certified or not?
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Best to have hotel or restaurant call one for you. If not, the yellow ones with the correct decals and stickers (not just a sticker that says taxi). Ask a local. Also there are no meters, so you want to agree on the fare before accepting the ride.