Search

Lodging in Arenal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging in Arenal

I need some help. I am leaving for costa rica on then 20th of this month and have been trying to figure out where to stay in Arenal. The Arenal Observatory Lodge and Hotel Silencio del Campo are both booked. Do any of you have suggestions about somewhere else to stay. Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 03:18 AM

We really love the Lost Iguana, but it's a little bit pricey. It's our favorite spot in CR.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM

We booked Arenal Paraiso for our February trip. It'll be our first time to stay there, but has positive recommendations both here and Trip Advisor. It has its own zip line, offers different tours, several pools/hot springs.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM

We stayed at Arenal Springs because it was one of the choices available within our package. It wasn't anything out of this world, but fairly new with nice duplex type units, nice pool/bar and a pretty good free breakfast. It's also only about 8-10 minutes from town - a cab cost $5 each direction and the front desk will call them anytime you like. They also offer a decent amount of day trips and have horseback riding (small stable) on-site. When we were there two years ago, they were adding units so they might be worth a try. Their website is easy to find. Good luck!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Have you taken a look at the lodging section of Arenal.net?
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM

www.lostiguanaresort.com

Arenal Lodge if budget

Both Nice Lava Views
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry you can't book AOL. We stayed there last November for 2 nights(cut out a day early due to non-stop rain). The location for lava viewing can't be beat. We didn't see the actual lava flow due to the rain, but did see the red hot rocks coming down the mountain.

One thing about AOL is it seemed to get a lot of 1-nighters, many with some sort of tour group. At least when we were there. I booked 2 months ahead, no problem. A small group of women we met at Eco-termales tried 6 months ahead and no luck.

Lost Iguana is on the lava flow side of the mountain. Check arenal.net

Good luck and please write a report when you return.

MY
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Yes, Lost Iguana has beautiful views of the volcano, and the rooms have nice balconies with rockers.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Arenal Springs has new duplex cabinas and extensive lawns. It has an unobstructed view of the mountain. Its restaurant and two pools are excellent. If you request it, the front desk staff will call you in the middle of the night if there is a flow.

I know everybody likes the old favorites, but my daughter, who lives in Costa Rica, took us here. We were very happy with the choice.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM

You probably can't view the lava flow (or rocks tumbling, more accurately) from Arenal Paraiso, Arenal Springs, or any of the hotels on the north side--unless there is a shift in activity to that side, which does happen from time to time. That pretty much leaves you Arenal Observatory Lodge and Lost Iguana for in-room viewing.

If you can content yourselves with a nighttime viewing excursion around to the active side, there are a lot of hotels to choose from, surely some of which are available. DO check out Arenal Paraiso. Nice property. Also Montana de Fuego, Arenal Springs (as mentioned), La Pradera, Los Lagos, any number of others (found on Arenal.net). More upscale places would be Hotel Kioro and The Springs.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 05:22 AM

We liked Los Lagos a lot - it was a big hit with our kids. The rooms themselves are pretty basic. But their pools are very nice. They have a small set of their own hot springs right there. They have horseback riding right on their property as well as their own zip lines. Their grounds are very well kept. Their breakfast is very good and included in the rate. The volcano view is great - although not a lava view. And it's not expensive at all. I'd stay there again!