Arenal or Rincon?

Jan 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Arenal or Rincon?

My husband and I are staying just outside Tamarindo the end of February for 1 week. We want to see one of the area volcanos and bathe in the hot springs. Which should we venture to, or would we be missing out if we didn't see both Arenal and Rincon de la Vieja?
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Do not plan on Arenal as a day trip. You will spend 9-10 hours in the car and the chances of it clouded over or rained out are high. Best viewing is at night as well. Stay over 1 or two nights for best change of seeing something.

Rincon is a much easier trip, about 2 hours. Its not nearly as dramatic as Arenal (when visible). Lots of options for hot springs/mud baths up there too. You can hike along the trails and get close to fumaroles and boiling mud.

Jan 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM

We love Arenal - we usually go for 3 or 4 days. There's loads of things to do there - waterfall, active volcano, Hanging Bridges, Eco Termales and Tabacon for hot springs, SkyTrek zipline, Cano Negro tour. It's hard to go wrong there. How long do you have to spend there?
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Arenal isn't a day trip from Tamarindo. If you have time after your week there, then Arenal would be a great place with many activities.

Otherwise, from Tamarindo go to Rincon de la Vieja which is much closer. We enjoyed the thermal springs and mud bath at Buena Vista Lodge, close to the park.
Jan 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM

dl, I agree with the others. If you're looking for a day trip only, then Arenal is out.
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM

You will miss a lot by not seeing Arenal, but unless you have a night or two to spend there, it would be difficult to justify the long drive. When I was in the Tamarindo area last month, I saw a lot more of the 2-day trips offered so you never know, something like that might just work for you. Kind of difficult if you are already paying for lodging in Tamarindo, but you might be able to find a deal.