Search

Last Minute Argentina Trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Minute Argentina Trip

I have scheduled a last minute 6 day trip to Argentina and thought I would check in with the experts. I have also sent a 'last minute' email to Mercedes at argentinaescapes.com. I don't know if she will see it before I depart.

I am a 48 year old male traveling by myself. I enjoy walking, even long distances, but am not really a hiker. I am comfortable speaking Spanish, but I don’t have a very large vocabulary so conversations can get a little difficult on some subjects. I am comfortable using any safe transportation: taxi, bus, train, or airplane. I could rent a car, but it would not seem reasonable to do so based on my limited time for this trip.

I am arriving in Buenos Aires on Tuesday morning, November 1 and am departing Sunday night November 6. I have already made a 5 night hotel reservation in Buenos Aires from 11/1-11/6. I don’t know how flexible they would be about changing the reservation if I was able to travel to other locations during this trip. In a worst case scenario, I'm sure that I would enjoy Buenos Aires and be very busy for the entire 6 days.

I’ve never been to Argentina before and do not know the best use of my time. If possible, I would like to visit Ushuaia, Iguazu, and possibly Montevideo as well; I am open to other ideas too. I would definitely like to spend enough time in Buenos Aires to walk around a bit – and to see a Tango show and/or visit a club on Saturday (11/5) during the evening to see and mix with locals. I could possibly change my return flight a couple of days later, but would like to consider my options first.

Thanks in advance for any input you have!

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Given the limited time that you have, you'll probably want to sepnd most of it in BA. The other places you mentioned are beautiful but will require alot of time. Montevideo is probably your best bet... you could take the Buquebus (boat) over and stay the night. Iguazu and Ushuaia would each require flights (in opposite directions) and several days to explore. If you want to spend a little time outside the city, you might consider day trips to Tigre or to an estancia.

BA is a great city... you will enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks msteacher - I'm sure I'll enjoy BA. Happy travels!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 01:58 AM

I agree with others...imagine trying to see the United States in six days/five nights! It can't be done.

Use BsAs as your home base and take a day trip or two if you want to get out of the city. This time of year try Tigre/the delta, or an estancia near Buenos Aires. Go to a Tango show while in BsAs....walk in the parks and eat ice cream. Take a city tour. Eat some steak, drink some Malbec wine. Try the pasta. Sip a cafe con leche and nibble a medialuna in the morning. On Sunday, take a cab to Feria Mataderos, an outdoor flea market with lots of street entertainers. San Telmo is more well known among tourists, but not nearly as much fun or as "authentic."

A suggestion: Instead of Montevideo, consider Colonia. The fast ferry will get you there in under one hour. It is architecturally distinctive, if you like history and older buildings....

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks drdawggy - great advice. I just didn't know when I would get a chance to return and thought that I might be able to get a taste of a few different locations. I'm thinking about extending by 3-4 days. Thanks again!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:44 AM

I'd agree with DD, in 6 days, even if you extend to 8-9 days, you won't have time to do much more than sample what's here in the city. Ushuaia and Iguazu would each take a couple of days minimum out of that (realize that they're over 4000 km apart, or roughly 2500 miles, and BsAs is roughly in the middle of that). Tigre and Colonia are, as he suggested, great day trips, but truthfully, I think you'll have more than enough to do here in the city - especially since you like to tour around on foot. (Also, as he said, Colonia is only an hour away by boat, Montevideo is 3.5 hours each way.) For a fun, if somewhat touristy oriented tango show, check out Esquina Carlos Gardel - your hotel can make the arrangements for you in advance I'm sure (and there are plenty of others out there) - you can get a little review of it on my blog.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dan - I really appreciate your input. I'm anxious to arrive!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:26 PM

LIke our friend, retrac5, I have planned a last minute trip to BA and beyond and only have limited time. We plan to spend 3 nights in BA, fly to Santiago and rent a car and drive back into Argentina to visit the wineries near Mendoza and Salta and for several nights and then back to Santiago for a few days, flying home from there.

My first 3 days in BA are set as are the last 2 in Santiago Am I being too ambitious to think I can fit this winery excursion into my itinerary? Perhaps I would be better to visit wineries near Santiago and forget Mendoza? Any idea how long it takes to cross the Andes and drive between Mendoza and Santiago? The distance isn't far, but I'm wondering if the road will add a lot of time?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 09:56 AM

We were able to get a fare of $780 on American Airlines this November.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I fly to Argentina from Atlanta 4 or 5 times per year. I have paid as much as $1100 and as little as $725 over the past twelve months.