Las Orquideas Inn/Patrick Hewitt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again, I'm the bride-to-be that's been a little indecisive about where to hold the ceremony, and while I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions, I am also thinking about taking the suggestion of Patrick Hewitt's from Costa Rica Travel. After a nice conversation with him on Friday and telling him that we are looking for a place to hold the small wedding (10- to maybe 20 guests), as well as an informal reception(said he got a good steak there for less than $10), and accomodations, he suggested Orquideas not only b/c of it's convienience and good prices for rooms for our guests, but b/c he said there's nice gardens there where the ceremony can be held.

We also looked at the photo album online while on the phone with each other, and even though some of the pics look like we can set up some floral arrangements around a place that looks like a great valley view, I'm just a little skeptical basing this decision on one or two pics online, ya know? He also said that the owners are very good people as well as good friends of his, so it'll probably be no problem to set up a location on the property to hold the ceremony.

Now here's my questions and I know you've probably figured it out, and I've read good reviews here on Fodor's about the rooms and place itself, but hardly anything on the grounds. Can a simple wedding be held there with the "perfect" backdrop? I know the place is on the outskirts of the city, but are there great valley views? What are your opinions? I know the ceremony will only be like 20 mins (which is a reason I can't rationalize spending $1000 to rent the venue, + $500 for the ceremony +cost of pics, reception, flowers, etc., that others are quotin, while Patrick says he can do some talking with the locals there for less than that), but I would still like some ambiance included in the ceremony. Again, thanks again in advance!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Belles76
I just got back from CR with my family 2 days ago and we stayed at Orquideas Inn for our last afternnon and night to catch our flight the next morning. Personally, I do not see this as a wedding destination. It served our purpose but I can't imagine having a wedding party come all the way to CR and then stay there. It's pretty good as a first or last night stop...but I wouldn't consider it a destination. It has a very funky look to it with the bright colors and somewhat worn look. It is on the outskirts of the city and you drive through some not so nice areas. The neighborhood features some rundown buildings and houses and they abut the property and you see them when you walk on the nature trails. Yes, this is a fact of life in CR but your guests will not see how beautiful CR is. We stayed in the cheapest rooms there so maybe the other areas up on the hill (if that's where they are) would provide better views. We heard loud traffic all night as we were facing the road. We did not see any views of the valley or hills. Our rooms were fine but no balcony to sit out on. The food was fine, nothing special. The pool is pretty worn with paint peeling off which you cannot tell from the websight. Outside you will see big spiders everywhere unlike we saw anywhere else in CR. They even had someone going around with a pole knocking them down. The gardens are fine, again nothing really special compared to everywhere else we had been. They were nice considering you were just outside the city. The positives to this place are that it is convenient, the owner was very nice and pleasant, and you would see workers constantly cleaning the area. It is adequate, fairly priced, has a funky Marilyn Monroe bar and what I again would say is a good 1st or last night stop. There must be better places to hold your ceremony so I hope others chime in. On the otherhand, we found Lost Iguana Resort in Arenal to be beautiful and very nice. The view of the Volcano would be awesome if it appeared and you could have it in your background. A small wedding was taking place the day we were leaving there. The gardens, scenery, pool area and rooms were unbelievable. The owners suite would be perfect for the bride and groom and the other rooms were very nice as well. Anyway, good luck with your plans.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Belles - I loved working with Pat and certainly do not mean to contradict anything he has said. I know from personaly experience that his suggestion came up due to conversations with you and trying to accomadate your particular needs.

But I agree that Orchideas in my mind is a place for overnighting to do sightseeing in in the Central Valley region and/or catching a flight the next day.

However, the food was good, company of other travelers interesting, bar was fun, grounds are small but pretty. We stayed in the lesser expensive garden rooms, but there are rooms up on the hill that had valley views. There was even a large outdoor meeting facility up there. Pool would be nice to laze around, although we were too busy to try it.

I went back to your previous post to see what other suggestions you had received. Whatever you choose, your wedding will be wonderful. And whatever Pat puts together for you, rest assured it will be taken care of.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:38 AM

I don't know if you have considered this but there is a hotel in the city where a lot of weddings are held. I have seen a couple of them while staying there. No grounds to get outside but they have really fixed up a lovely place for the weddings inside. It is a very popular place for travelers and has a great tour desk for your guests who want to get out after the wedding and see some things. It also has a great gift shop. Hotel Don carlos.

I have stayed there a couple of times but don't really stay in the city much because we prefer the outdoors.

Have also stayed at Orquideas. The people who own it and the workers there are great. It also has a great tour desk and the guys who take you out are a lot of fun. I thought the food was very good and reasonable. It is not the fanciest place as was mentioned but there are views of the valley and the mountains beyond. The Marilyn Monroe bar is a hoot and one of the best places I have been to really relax and enjoy meeting fellow travelers. All of us there were just passing through and happy to share experiences. I was traveling alone at the time and never had to eat alone. I never did eat in the restaurant because I much prefered the bar and pool areas-same menu. Coffee pot by the bar was almost always full and self service which was a biggie for me. There are street noises unfortunately and the neigborhood is a little run down for sure. As I was pulling in I got a little nervous but once in there are tall solid cement walls and you don't really see the surrounding area much.

Pat is a good guy. He and I have corresponded for many many years. I have recommended him to many people who have been very satisfied with his help.

Congratulations and I am sure any place you pick will have special memories.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi, and thank you all for your honest opionions, which is why I knew it was best to ask on here for further feedback. I went to Pat b/c of all your recommendations, and while I enjoyed talking to him and believe that he is a wonderful guy, I hope you can understand that by looking at the pics online, I still needed more of your views on this location. Therefore, I think I will pass on the Orquideas for the ceremony, but will definitely keep it in mind to check out another time!

I am now looking into:
Hotel Buena Vista, which they said they could host the wedding and to just tell them how they can help. And the same was said when I inquired at Poas Volcano Lodge. I'm still considering El Cafetal--everytime I go on their website, it looks like they have some views, as well as a waterfall after a 20 min. walk. On my other posts, Vista del Valle was also suggested and I looked into that, but sad to say that they only work through a wedding coordinator, which at the least will cost $2500. As far as Lost Iguana, too bad for our guests since it'll be a further trek for them with only a 2-full day stay, but that is definitely the place where we'll be staying on that leg of the trip that I'm surprising my honey with for our honeymoon--the room/views look gorgeous(of course, he's leaving all the trip planning to me!) I guess no matter where the wedding is, the groom is still a guest at his own wedding huh?
Again, I really appreciate your opinions, b/c it saved me from the stress of worrying about if I made the right decision about a place so far away that I wouldn't of been able to see until I got there!
Thanks again!